Piggy wanita needs your help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Piggy wanita needs your help

Hello, I'm a new piggy owner and need some advice on a skin problem that my piggy Wanita is experiencing. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 08:11 AM
Will It Ever Change?

hi and welcome! first off, might you have any pictures? they might help us. but unfortunatley we can't diagnose. if your piggy is uncomfortable then you should probably see a vet. please let us know how it goes!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick reply

Hello and thanks for your quick reply. We've had Wanita for about 5 months (she's approx 6 months old). About 6 weeks ago she started itching and developing dandruff patches on her skin. We took her to the vet and she took skin scrapings for mites, lice etc but nothing came up, I was advised to give her Ivomec which I have given her 4 times over a 40 day period, Wanita seemed always better a day after the medication, while her behavior and spirits have definitely lifted her skin appears to be worse. Her hair is falling out in alot of places and she is covered in dandruff, she is not itching as much as she used to but still enough for concern. I'm hesitant to go back to the vet as it is SO EXPENSIVE I have applied a some vaseline to a part of the of the area to see if this can help, and have heard that Neem oil can help, is it fungal? I give her timothy hay, and fresh grass everyday as well as fresh veges from the garden. I hope the pic helps (This is her waiting for me to return from the garden with her food, not the prettiest piggy at the moment but still a cutie) Thanks

25mldosageand gave me Ivomec to use orally which I have now given her me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

[quote=1921kathryn;495779]Hello and thanks for your quick reply. We've had Wanita for about 5 months (she's approx 6 months old). About 6 weeks ago she started itching and developing dandruff patches on her skin. We took her to the vet and she took skin scrapings for mites, lice etc but nothing came up, I was advised to give her Ivomec which I have given her 4 times over a 40 day period, Wanita seemed always in better spirits after the medication, but her skin/hair appears to be worse. Her hair is falling out in alot of places and she is covered in dandruff, she is not itching as much as she used to tho. I'm hesitant to go back to the vet as it is SO EXPENSIVE I have applied a some vaseline to a part of the of the area as I have read this can help? also have heard that Neem oil can help, is it fungal? I give her timothy hay, and fresh grass everyday as well as fresh veges from the garden. I hope the pic helps (This is her waiting for me to return from the garden with her food, not the prettiest piggy at the moment but still a cutie) Having trouble uploading the pic at the moment but will work it out shortly
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Photo of Piggy Wanita

Here's the pic of Wanita not prettiest piggy at the moment but still a CUTIE ,,, what does anyone think?? ps can anyone tell me how to edit a post I'm stumped!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kate stuff 890.jpg (26.3 KB, 5 views)

Tags
timothy hay