please help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Smile please help

I GOT HIM!!! it is a boy, its cage is wire, with a wire bottom and a plastic poop catcher, he is on seed/ pellets mix with seed treats, he has no hay and probably never has sence he left the pet store, he has no hide his owners had never cleaned the cage, or the waterbottle or trimmed his nails. The vet took out his ear tag and he is adoreable, I am keeping the shelters name of nibbles...

OK i was wondering... Hay- do i just give him as much as he wants or should i start him slow? should i give him alfalfa or timathy sence he is like 6 months old maybe.. he looks kinda sad.

should i start him off slow on fruits and veggies or just give him some? i am going to the store today to get him a hidey house and hay and fruit and some chews and some mats to put on the floor of his cage

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Adolescent Pup

Just curious but what its 'he'? I think he's a Guinea Pig but just wondered that all xXx

Mama to -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rabbit - Sooty

Big Sister to -
Squinick
//
Twinkle // Kelly
//
Pink-Winged Sticks! // Fishies!

To those we have lost and are forever asleep... we will never forget you and could never replace you, rest in peace
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Will It Ever Change?

yaaaay congrats!!!!! i know not a thing about gp's, other than supply fresh hay 24/7 i think, best wishes! you're a godsend!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Aww congrats and I hope that everything goes well with him.

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Momma to: 2 human children Audree (2) and Jacob (7 mo.)
3 Doggies: Angel (13), Cricket (1), and Diesel (4mo.)
1 Kitty: Mazey (Age unknown)
2 ferrets - Mocha and Marshall
1 bunny - Ice

Working to make a change, one paw at a time!
Volunteer - Skinny Little Buddy's Rescue
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

i know they are supposed to have hay 24/7 but he hasnt ever had it and i didnt know if he would over eat, or bloat or whatever if he had all he wants right away, and not over a coarse of 2-3 days or whatever..

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey-Leigh
Just curious but what its 'he'? I think he's a Guinea Pig but just wondered that all xXx

Yep its a guinea pig, i also posted a few other threads but i got impatient on responses so i made a new one !!

Ill have pictures soon when i fix up the cage, i dont want to claim it right now

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Playful Pup

please get another cage with a plastic bottom, the wire hurts their feet, they get their toes caught in the wire mesh and sometimes break their toes, good luck.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

i am getting pads or tiles or whatever to put on the wire for now and then save up for a new cage.. dont worry i wont make him stay on the bars

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Playful Pup

cool.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Arrow

Do not give him alfalfa...make sure he ALWAYS has Timothy Hay available to him at all times.
Offer him veggies everyday..you can start with tomatoe slices and carrot chunks. Offer him fruits and veggies with vitamin C like orange slices and red bell peppers, green are fine too. He will also like romaine lettuce (no iceburg lettuce) and broccoli but only give broccoli once in a while. They can get diarrhea from it.
Make sure he has a good quality pellet diet and fresh H20 at all times also. Do not feed him nuts or seeds they can be dangerous and hurt his throat and also high in fat. Also avoid raw beans, rhubarb as these are poisenous.

I dont know how much you already know about piggies but here are a few good links with info on their diet and needs...
Guinea Pig Diet Directory
Guinea Lynx :: Diet

Lve Never Fails

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Playful Pup

i hope i know just about everything about pigs, i'm in the prosess of writing a book.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Playful Pup

i'm joking of course, i have lots of years with pigs, around 40, i'm no expert.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
I dont know how much you already know about piggies but here are a few good links with info on their diet and needs...Guinea Pig Diet Directory
Guinea Lynx :: Diet
the comment above i gave was directed to Kendalle since she started this thread
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Playful Pup

ok,sorry.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

hehe, no worries. i remember you have had piggies all your life. Cool your writing a book How far are you into it?
I just didnt want you to think i was directing that info to you...........just that it was for Kendalle since she asked here.

Tags
carefresh bedding, collard greens, guinea lynx, guinea pig, mustard greens, pet store, romaine lettuce, timothy hay, wire mesh