Please help, piggie doesnt seem to like veg. - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 07:51 AM

Guinea pigs don't produce their own Vitamin C. So it would be just the opposite. If guinea pigs don't get vitamin C, it could lead to Scurvy or other illnesses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnature
...hehehe isnt it cute when they do that!!
But you know that your piggie is really in the process of training you...he is training you that after you open the fridge to automaticly take out some veggies from the bag and walk to his cage as quickly as you can to feed some to him. Sounds like he is training you well..hehe...
LOL! it sounds like he is training me quite well then!!
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy Leigh
just we read somewhere it can be fatal to feed them orange :S xxx
Oh no that is sooo wrong..they NEED VIT C DAILY. They cant prodoce or store it in their bodies and so need some everyday to be healthy or they will get very sick. Its a well know fact, i dont know where or who told you that! Please give piggie some fruit like oranges or veggie like green/red peppers that have Vit C.
A combo my piggies love is red/green pep with sliced tomatoes and carrots. Somedays i will put orange slices instead of the tomatoes to switch it up a bit. I like to sprinkle it with cilantro or just a little bit of broccoli. Don't feed too much broccoli at one time or too often as it can give them diarrhea. Apples are good for too. Switch it up for them so they dont get bored. Dandelion greens are very good for them too. I have a special pot outside that i let them grow in so my piggies get theirs freshly picked and washed. You can also get it from your lawn if your SURE that they are free from pesticides or urine contaminated from cats or dogs. Wash good though anyway.

Please check out those links Amber posted on diet. So very important!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the tips. we do usually give him everything but the oranges and have had him a good few years, his 2 brothers died in the hands of an animal shelter in the summer while we were away from the heat. I will make sure his diet is changed straight away xx
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

oh..well its good he gets a variety of other veggies like you have been doing. Good! He might look at the oranges funny at first since he doesnt know what they are lol...but his curiousity will win over soon im sure You can even try to feed him outside his enclosure while your holding him, that way he might feel its a treat and take to it quicker.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Rodentologist

One problem with oranges is that they're very acidic, so too many of them can lead to scabs around their mouths. This doesn't happen to all pigs, but a lot of people limit oranges because of that.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

dumbo rat and Stacey Leigh.......this can also happen with apples, sores around the mouth....thats why balance and variety are important. Too much of anything too often can cause or aggravate a problem.

Variety and balance are key to a healthy piggie

Lve Never Fails

post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 12:18 PM

I never even thought of that!
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 05:55 PM

guinea pigs in pet shops never get greens, i'm sure your guinea pigs don't know what greens are yet,young pigs from pet shops are wild at first until they get to know you, it will take a little time, be patientstart out will small amounts at first, what is not eaten remove at the end of the day. mine love carrots,lettuce, and small amounts of ripe apples, hope this helps.wayne
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Fortunatly where i got my piggie they did give them veggies and treated them well.
Always remember to wash anything your gonna feed them first to remove any pesticides and residue. Also if your gonna feed lettuce its better to feed it romaine or some baby lettuces instead of the iceberg lettuce. Its important to remove veggies/fruit after a few hours..3-4...so that they dont eat anything unfresh and starting to spoil.
Important..NO raw beans or rhubarb as these are extremely poisonous. No shelled nuts or seeds (this inclueds sunflower seeds), no dairy products as cavies are lactose intolerant, and no iceberg lettuce or long celery stalks.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 07:10 PM

agree, i see you know something about pigies also,cool.

Tags
animal shelter, dandelion greens, guinea lynx, guinea pig, pet shop, pet shops, romaine lettuce, sunflower seeds