Please help, piggie doesnt seem to like veg. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Please help, piggie doesnt seem to like veg.

I have had my piggie for about three weeks now, i got him from a pet shop, but i am really worried about him, he doesnt seem to like any kind of veg or fruit or even hay. I have checked his teeth and they all seem okay. He doesnt seem to be eating very much. Has any one got any ideas to how i can get him to eat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 01:09 PM
Oily Chickenspew

perhaps this will help.. and also make SURE they are very fresh, piggies are picky when it comes to freshness!

"Start with small amounts, and see what your piggy likes. Guinea pigs will not eat what they do not like."
"some veggies to try:
* apples
* bananas
* bell peppers: green, orange and red
* carrots, including the green tops
* cilantro
* cucumber
* dandelion greens
* grass, free of chemicals/poisons
* green leaf lettuce
* oranges
* parsley
* romaine lettuce
* tomatoes"

Cavy Food and Nutrition for the full info

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Oh thank you for replying so quickly!! He doesnt seem to like "green" veggies. Is that unusual? Im going to try him with one thing at a time and see what he likes and keep a note of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Oily Chickenspew

yea, i would work on one thing at a time try red peppers when me and my friend had a piggy (her name was frankie, lol) she LOVED red peppers

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 01:45 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Guinea Lynx :: Anorexia (not eating)
Guinea Lynx :: Parasites
Guinea Lynx :: URI

Have you treated you pig for mites? A lot of time petstore pigs will have mites or other medical problems. A good vet check up would be good if possible. Look over those links, just to see if there are other symptoms.

Alot of times it takes petstore pigs a while to eat veggies because they have never had those in their diet before.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

My friends piggies LOVE red peppers. They look like they have lipstick on when they are eating them. It's very funny.

My bunny Ophelia never wants to try anything new. I swear she thinks there is something wrong with it. I just leave it in front of her and she finally tastes it. She usually likes everything once she tries it. We are still working on the papya tabs. Oliver on the other hand will eat anything I hand to him. And he does seem to like everything. He gladly ate Ophelia's papya tab for her.

What do the piggie people think of trying another kind of hay? I use Kaytee but I know that Oxbow has excellent hay. Maybe that would help?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 07:10 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i am experiencing the same problems, and after having her for a week she is eating way better...put more veggies than hay, so she can notice the veggies, mix them up with hay and in no time she will learn to like them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Im please to say he is eating a lot better now, he must have been ust trying to settle in. He now wheeks like mad when he hears any kind of bag russling!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Adolescent Pup

my GP's used to do that when anyone open the fridge door..
They live on the second floor and the kitchen was on the main floor..
It was really cute

Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbo Rat
He now wheeks like mad when he hears any kind of bag russling!
...hehehe isnt it cute when they do that!!
But you know that your piggie is really in the process of training you...he is training you that after you open the fridge to automaticly take out some veggies from the bag and walk to his cage as quickly as you can to feed some to him. Sounds like he is training you well..hehe...

Lve Never Fails

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 06:03 AM
Adolescent Pup

i didnt think pigs were meant to have orange?

also my piggy wheeks at the fridge opening, at the back door opening, at us when we are chopping his veggies up. It's very cute! He also loves spinach and parsley xx

Mama to -

Rabbit - Sooty

Big Sister to -
Squinick
//
Twinkle // Kelly
//
Pink-Winged Sticks! // Fishies!

To those we have lost and are forever asleep... we will never forget you and could never replace you, rest in peace
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 06:13 AM

Stacey Leigh - Yes they can have orange. Fruit can be given, as long as its only a small part of the diet.

http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

Guinea Lynx :: Favorite Foods

Guinea Lynx :: Vegetable and Fruit Charts
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 06:29 AM
Adolescent Pup

he eats apples but thanks for the tip, it's just we read somewhere it can be fatal to feed them orange :S xxx

Mama to -

Rabbit - Sooty

Big Sister to -
Squinick
//
Twinkle // Kelly
//

To those we have lost and are forever asleep... we will never forget you and could never replace you, rest in peace
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 06:44 AM

Where did you read that? Maybe they meant if you fed them a whole orange, lol. Its okay to give one orange slice per pig.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 06:49 AM
Adolescent Pup

im not sure it was when we first got them like 4 years ago, it was something about vitamin C and they couldn't have orange because of the vitamin C in it.

Mama to -

Rabbit - Sooty

Big Sister to -
Squinick
//
Twinkle // Kelly
//

Tags
animal shelter, dandelion greens, guinea lynx, guinea pig, pet shop, pet shops, romaine lettuce, sunflower seeds