Please help us! - Page 4 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
And here I am again, showing my butt!

Update on 'Livvy:

She is sooo not doing well. She has very liquid-ey diarrhea and is so dehydrated that her eyes have sunken in. And she's whimpering.

So, today I have stopped the Tylenol and baby food alltogether and am just giving her CC and 1/2 water & 1/2 Pedialyte. I am keeping her comfortable and am visiting and petting her often.

Russ told me that if she is still no better and is still not eating on her own by Sunday, he wants to see us both in his office Monday for a "discussion." I asked him if I was still gonna like him after that discussion and he said "probably not..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 02:47 PM
Erin

I'm so sorry SP Let me know if you need anything, it's hard to watch them suffer, and even harder to let them go, but sometimes you have make tough decisions for these little ones.

post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 03:00 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hey, you might ask him about some subcutaneous fluids to help with the dehydration. 30-40CCs should be about right for her and can help her fight.

Hang in there, I know it is so hard to watch them like this. My thoughts are with you and Olivia.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 04:50 PM
Lee0923

I'm so sorry you and Olivia have to go through this!

My thoughts and prayers are with you both!

post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

You guys are just super people. Thank you so much for pulling for us and being a real source of support for me.

A bit of good news -- her eyes are not as sunken this evening as they were this morning, AND she actually voluntarily licked the Pedialyte out of the syringe just a bit ago!

We took a 2 hour nap together on the couch this afternoon, her laying on a towel and snuggled up against my chest with a blanket over both of us. It was so nice!! She even purred a bit.

Jade, she's got 2 more feedings today and if she continues to take the liquid voluntarily then I think she probably won't need IV fluids - what do you think?? I'm to call Russ in the morning for an update.

Last edited by SpottyPoo; 06-12-2003 at 06:59 PM.
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 07:07 PM

Good Luck with Olivia. It must be really hard right now. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 08:43 PM

My thoughts are with you guys. Give Olivia some big hugs for me!
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Olivia is doing about the same today. I'm still hand feeding her every 4 hours or so and she still refuses to eat. It just MUST be her teeth bothering her. I ordered a Chin Sling to help her out and to correct her bite and it should be here by mid next week. Until then, I will continue to hand feed. I did notice today that she actually had a solid poop for the first time in 3 weeks!

Gawd, I'm sure sick of all this...and I know my little sweetie is, too.
post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 08:57 PM

She is a beauty and I hope she will be ok. Since she's a baby, she'll get used to having her teeth cut, and you may even be able to do it yourself. Her teeth will be sore for a while, and then she will fell better. Try to get her to eat a lot of hay. It helps to grind the back teeth down.

We had a dwarf bunny with this, and his teeth had to be trimmed every two weeks. Bubba was great after a while with it.

Tell her the 8 Wheeking Wonders of the World are sending her piggy hugs!
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 09:52 PM

Glad to hear Olivia is doing a wee bit better. We'll keep sending Olivia some good thoughts so she would feel better and start eating on her own. You hang in there.
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-14-2003, 03:51 PM

Sorry I haven't read this entire thread but, have you tried feeding her fresh grass? I know that's always recommended when pigs aren't eating. Poor girl, at least she had a solid poop!
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-15-2003, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Olivia's holding her own now. She continues to fight the force feeding, but her eyes are shiney and bright and she's still got her strength! She continues to whimper.

She has actually "nibbled" on a banana several times which is the first on her own eating I've seen her do in weeks.

Russ said he'd be glad to do another toofie planing this week. I'm just waiting for that Chin Sling to arrive first so we can start that treatment with normal teeth so we can keep them that way.
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Update:

The chin sling arrived in this morning's mail and Russ is out of town all week!! Oh, well -- I'm going to start the sling tonight anyway. It can only help her current situation.

I'll let everyone know how much she liked it and may even get a pigture of her tolerating the thing. I hope it doesn't embarrass her...
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 06:25 PM

Maybe I didn't read every post, but what is a chin sling suppose to do? I never heard of it.
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 07:39 PM

Linda Lee... It was from some info on the GL medical library thing. Here is the link to it: http://www.guinealynx.info/chinsling.html
Apparently some people have had some success with it. Sort of orthodontics for pigs.

SP... Tell Olivia just to kick poop on anyone who makes fun of her ortho-sling thing. I sure hope she gets better.

Tags
emergency vet, exotic vet, guinea pig, regular vet