Please help us! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
And here I am again, showing my butt!

Exclamation Please help us!

Olivia refuses to eat ANYthing. No pellets, hay, baby food, Critical Care, water/pedialyte -- and I'm force feeding her. It is a nightmare to get food in this little girl.

What in the world can I do? I'm at a complete loss -- I know she will not make it at this rate. I'm doing everything I know to do.

Someone -- please help us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 12:17 AM
Adolescent Pup

I have no clue what to do You should prolly try to keep her warm though I hope she gets better
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 12:34 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If nothing else, your vet needs to show you how to do subcutaneous fluids. She'll need them twice a day. I'd make a call ASAP.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

I've also been giving her fresh poops from Abby.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

I've sent him an email and will page him first thing in the morning.

What would make her stop eating alltogether?? I thought for sure all the Flagyl had worked out of her system by now.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 12:37 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

588-7015 is open. She needs fluids if she's gonna survive. How long has she gone w/o water?

Stephanie

post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 12:38 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

We're posting at the same time.

The flagyl is a drug I'm very hesitant to use. I don't like it. It screwed up Elvis' system and I've seen dogs in metronidazole toxicity. She could just have such an upset GI tract that she's nearly in stasis and doesn't want to eat.

Stephanie

post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 01:49 AM
Fungus Mungus Rep

I wish I could help. But since I have no experience in this area, all I can do is send well wishes. I hope she gets better. I know she means a lot to you.

post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 07:38 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I also just wanted to say I'm sorry your having all these problems with her.It's very fustrating I'm sure.
I hope she gets better.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 09:20 AM
Toilet Paper Deputy In Training

Oh crap, this is terrible. We are heading right down Finnigans path.

That pig needs to get to the vet NOW. And you may want to think about finding an emergency vet for at night.

I think Baytril can make some pigs lose their appetite but I am not sure about Flagyl. Hopefully you have already posted this on GL and they are much better about their meds. I could have the Baytril and Flagyl mixed up though.

This is so frustrating. Keep introducing foods and force feeding.
Keep us updated.
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 10:44 AM
Adolescent Pup

Oh gosh, SP I wish I had advice for you. I hope the vet can do something for her. I'll keep thinking positive thoughts for both of you.

Come on, Olivia! You've gotta fight this!

To see more pictures of Molly, Milo, Max & Maddie and their home
click on the picture or visit

post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. They are all very much appreciated. You all are my source of strength and support as my hubby just doesn't understand and cannot feel my pain. He's never been interested in my piggies -- still calls them "it" or "that thing" instead of "she."

I'm feeding her 2 cc pedialyte and 1 cc of Critical Care every 2 hours. I've added crushed up vita C and a few more fresh poops. She's not giving me as much trouble getting it in her as she has been. She's still strong, though. She can't wait to break away from all that feeding, run up my stomach and chest and have me hold her against my chest/shoulder!

Looks like she'll be going to the vet tomorrow although I'm not sure what he can do for her that I haven't already.

Last edited by SpottyPoo; 06-08-2003 at 12:42 PM.
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 12:41 PM
Adolescent Pup

SP, I'm sure you've probably read this already, but I thought I'd bring it up just in case... the discussion at GL about things to add to the Critical Care slurry that may make it more appealing for Olivia..

http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1412

post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

No, I hadn't seen that! Thanks so much!! I will go get some baby food oatmeal/bananas/applesauce and preservative-free apple juice to make the CC more palatable.

I wonder if it will stimulate her appetite?
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 01:20 PM
Adolescent Pup

I hope so! Please let us know how it goes...

mmm... Olivia... this is YUMMY! Come on sweetie... give it a try...

Tags
emergency vet, exotic vet, guinea pig, regular vet