Pregnancy Questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Exclamation Pregnancy Questions

I have a few questions....I could just be paranoid,but tonight I had Apolla running around in the bathroom and I noticed there seemed to be movement,like babies moving around in her tummy.I have had pregnant rats and mice and when the babies moved in them,that is what it looked like!

Anyway I tried feeling,but I couldn't feel anything really.Her belly is a little big,but I thought it was normal for piggies to have a bit of a pot belly.

My questions are:
How long is gestation? Because the owners told me they did have another GP,but he died...I am not sure how long ago tho.

And do you have a picture of a pregnant piggy? Just so I can see?

Are false pregnancies common in GP's???

I am worried now.I hope she is not pregnant,because I do not know if I can handle that right now!! Of course IF she is,I will do all that I can for her...but I am a little concerned.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Okay I was just talking to one of the owners and he said that she has not been around a male in like 5-6 months,but the other GP was a male.

So now I wanna know about false pregnancies...unless GP's have a long gestation.

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

A pregnant piggies gestation is from 59 to 73 days. I dont know about False Pregnancies though. Jenn might be around later and able to fill you in on that.

But dont worry too much cuz she isnt preggo. She is just chubby the way a piggie should be. (but of course not too chubby)

Lve Never Fails

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Yeah,after I found out she wasn't near the male in like 5-6 months,I knew she couldn't be pregnant.

Thats actually a relief,because since she is my first GP...that would be way too much for me to handle.

* Lisa *

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 12:04 AM
Oily Chickenspew

so no piggy babies??

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 06:03 AM
Rodentologist

They don't have false pregnancies, as a general rule (at least, I've never seen or heard of one having a false pregnancy, and I've never seen it in medical texts).

However, girls that have lived basically in near starvation will frequently balloon in size once they come to a good home where they're getting the appropriate amount of food. I used to constantly be on paranoid pregnancy watch, and so far, none of the ones we've taken in have been pregnant, just half starved.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thank you.

She wasn't starved at her other house tho.

* Lisa *

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Rodentologist

I consider "half starved" to be poor quality food vs. high quality food, or very little hay vs. enough hay, etc.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Ohhh!
Thanks.I am going to keep my eye on her anyway and if things get worse or anything,then she will go to the vet.

* Lisa *

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 12:08 PM
rae
Adolescent Pup

hee nah she hasn't been near a male piggies for that long then no unless a male Casanova piggie has been sneaking his way with her in the night, however sadly i doubt very much this has happened! my piggies was brought preggers and we didn't know till one morning there was two, ie her and a kiddie she didnt look pregnant i felt bad cuz i handled her loads, lucly baby was fine! im kinda sad cuz i love seeing photies of baby pigies!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 01:09 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Oh boy! When my sister and I got guinea pigs as children... my pig was supposed to be a boy but turned out to be a girl. My sisters was a boy, and soon my pig started to get fat. I complained to my mom that the little guinea pig was fat and didn't want to run around and play anymore (poor mama pig). Then my mom took a look at her. We'd never had guinea pigs before so we didn't know if they should be gaining fat at their middle. When my piggy was almost ready to give birth, she had really obvious bulges on her sides above her back legs. It reminded me of a mushroom! Then when she gave birth she rolled all around the cage and babies kind of popped out! It was one of the strangest things I've seen!

I guess the moral of the story is to get ahold of someone who really knows how to sex the guinea pigs before you put them together. After that, we put the ladies in one cage and the boys in another, but we had a mesh wiring so they could talk to each other... that was a bad idea too. The boys broke in to the girls cage and we ended up with another litter! Thank goodness I had friends who wanted guinea pigs. o0o I kind of rambled, but the story seems humorous now. Animals always find a way and are much more intelligent than we give them credit for.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

Tags
guinea pig