pregnant guinea pig - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

pregnant guinea pig

Hello Everyone,

Well a guinea pig we bought less then 2 months ago is very pregnant. We just got back from the vet, they feel atleast 2 heads in there, and her pelvic bones are moving so she should be able to deliver at home. The vet had me buy RX biotic to help with her digestive system and Avix booster. She doesnt seem very happy that I took her to the vet, and after he was done examing her, she ran to me and hid by me, I felt bad, but I couldnt rest til I knew she was gonna be fine. The vet said anyday now she should have her babies. but just wanted to let everyone know this. We got her pregnant from the pet store, it wasnt anything I did on purpse, I dont like to breed animals, it's too much responsiblity for me. But of course I wasnt just gonna abandon her cause she's pregnant, I love her. If anybody has any advise for me, let me know.

-pollybug

Pollybug25's pets-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rosie, Snowball, Princess, Boggart, and Taco

Ginger, chihuahua/mix

Brownie, Shihtzu

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Congrats! I can't wait to see pictures of mama and baby! Make sure you have comfortable bedding, (like Carefresh) not alfalfa because it is scratchy. You should feed Fidget alfalfa hay though, instead of timothy because it will give her more nutrients. Usually they will give birth in the day and it will last about 20 minutes max. If it takes longer than that, be prepared to rush her to the vet...she could die of exhaustion. I am sure everything will be fine. Good Luck! Hopefully everything goes smoothly =) If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Welcome to Paw-talk!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Rodentologist

Be prepared with an emergency vet on hand. Pregnancies are very tough on guinea pigs because the pups are so precocious. If there are complications, she needs to be at the vet within a half an hour to give her a reasonable chance of surviving any emergency surgery.

Make sure she is getting alfalfa hay in addition to her timothy hay and pellets, as well as a variety of dark green leafy vegetables. Though the vet only felt 2 skulls, be prepared for any number of babies, if there are more than 2 they generally "hang out" in the middle and can't be palpated easily without hurting mama. One of our pregnant females in the rescue had 3 babies inside that we could easily feel and ended up giving birth to a total of 7 babies.

I would be hesitant to use the Avix for guinea pigs as it's really designed for birds, and they don't have the same requirements for fatty acids that birds do, but that's something you'll have to decide for yourself.

http://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I've been giving her a diet of guinea pig pellets, timothy hay, alfalfa, and vegetables, and a little bit of fruit as she doesnt seem to care much for fruit and it just sits there. The avix brochure the vet gave me had directions on it for guinea pigs and rabbits and birds. I'm just gonna trust he vet and see what happens, I havent given it to her yet. This vet office has a building across the parking lot that is an after hours and weekend emergency services, so yes, I have a vet on hand. I thought she was older, but the vet said by looking at her claws that she is pretty young. And I told him that her nipples where huge when I got her, so the vet said that this probably isnt her first litter. And he felt her pelvic bone and said they where stretchy and moved when he stuck her thumb there. He said if they didnt move, then he would be worried. But the vet said that with everything he sees, that she seems fine, and more likely to be able to deliver at home. But just incase, he gave me a brochure on the their 24 hours emergency services. I hope this vet is right, I paid $118 on a guinea pig I paid $20 at the pet store for lol. But I love all animals, and I couldnt rest til I heard from a perfessional that she was fine. He said she should be delivering anytime soon, and that I was doing everything right. I'm so excited, I cant wait to see what her babies look like, I hope they're as beautiful as her, she's all white and has long fur, but the kind that goes everywhere and she looks like she has a mohawk lol. I feel bad that I had to drive her to the next town in this heat, but I put the air conditioner on in my van, and she seemed fine. But even though 2 babies would be a perfect amount, more would be great also. I'm thinking if their's any females, I may let the mom and daughter stay together. I bought this guinea pig for a companion for my other guinea pig, but that other one wants nothing to do with this pregnant guinea pig. Well thank you again, I will post pictures as soon as their born, and I may post a video on youtube. When I do I will let everyone know where to look for the video.

-pollybug

Pollybug25's pets-

Ginger, chihuahua/mix

Brownie, Shihtzu

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 05:29 AM
Rodentologist

It sounds like you're prepared! Unfortunately, your situation is all too common. Our rescue gets several calls a week that are nearly identical to this, with pregnant female guinea pigs or "male" guinea pigs that have suddenly given birth. Just as a warning, if she requires an emergency c-section it's going to be expensive; the last one we had to do was $500+.

Once she gives birth and you separate out the males in 3 weeks, you may want to try introductions again. Many female guinea pigs are "cranky" while pregnant and may introduce better once they've given birth. The trick is going to be an adequately sized cage for 3+ guinea pigs -- without enough space, nobody will get along! We use these types of cages: http://www.guineapigcages.com and then follow this introduction guide: http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions

Good luck to your new girl; handle her as little as possible and keep an eye out of a nail polish remover type smell -- it's often a sign of pregnancy toxemia.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you Jennicat,

I have been watching out for that smell, and so far I smell nothing. But I do have a question. It seems like no matter how much I clean out her cage (which I do quite often for all my animals since I'm too sensitve to smells) she seems to always be sitting in her urine and it stains her underside and bottom. Is there a way to advoid this?? Something that may absorb the urine? I'm also scared of her getting sores from this, I did buy a $20 all natural shampoo for animals that the vet recommended to me (their's a store in the vet's office, a very fancy place!!) and I gave her a very gentle bath yesterday, which she didnt mind at all, as long as I hold her she seems comfortable getting a bath, the vet said she should be fine to get one while pregnant, I was worried about stressing her out and handling her the wrong way, but she seems fine. I have tried that fancy carefresh litter, the white ultra absorbant one, and she still seems to get dirty.

Well as of right now, she's still pregnant, eating and drinking still. I bought her a diffrent guinea pig pellets food that was expensive so hopefully she gets good nutrition from it and the babies too. She's right now just sitting there chilling out. A little bit ago when I got back from shopping, she came running and wanted me pet her, and she seemed so happy. I find it funny how her temper is diffrent from the other guinea pig. The other guinea pig, the one that isnt pregnant, rose, is very hyper, always popcorning, squeeking and cant sit still, while the pregnant guinea pig is very calm, has more of a temper of a rabbit, just so calm and loving, I think she will make a great mommy, hopefully. Well I will keep everyone updated, my mother has Carecredit credit card that the vet takes so if she needs a c-section I can use that and pay my mother back in payments, so that isnt a very huge worry. I just hope I'm doing everything right, remember I am new to the world of guinea pigs, so any advise would be great even though I've researched them up and down lol.

-pollybug

Pollybug25's pets-

Ginger, chihuahua/mix

Brownie, Shihtzu

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Rodentologist

How big is the cage? Typically the only real way to deal with it is to provide a larger cage. They do poop and pee a LOT, and most pet store cages need to be cleaned 2-3 times a week to even begin remaining clean.

I'm personally with you on handling her -- we handle any pregnant females that come in as little as possible because they are so big and ungainly. It's easy to put too much pressure on the wrong places, and stressing them out and causing them to thrash around (as some do) isn't good for them and can sometimes cause them to go into labor prematurely. Just imagine trying to pick up a pregnant woman around the torso and you can imagine how uncomfortable and possibly damaging it could be to piggies!

Provide her unlimited amounts of food and let her eat all she wants since she's eating for so many. A plain pellet is best (none of the colored bits or seeds that are sometimes in pellets are good for them -- we use Oxbow or Mazuri brand as they have very high quality pellets).

It's good to hear that you guys have a plan! I didn't mean to be scary about the warning, but so many people wouldn't spend the money on "just a guinea pig" or may not realize how much an emergency operation might cost and might not be prepared!

I think you're doing a great job and trying to learn very fast! I'd check out guineapigcages.com for cage info, guinealynx.info for medical and diet info, and cavyspirit.com for behavioral information. They're the best sites that I've found and are very carefully researched

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks again jennicat,

She is in a pretty good size home, and she does go to the bathroom in one corner, I put one of those absorbing sheets down, but she still get's dirty. My friend told me that guinea pigs arnt usually taken to the vet cause they're considered 'throw-away pets', but I feel that every living creature deserves a chance to live a happy and healthy life. Everyone thingks I'm silly being so excited for these babies, I'm always talking to her and giving her treats, and she gives me kisses (she's happy as long as I dont go near her belly) but she just looks so tierd now, I have been feeling those babies kick for almost 3 weeks now, shouldn't it be almost time? She's not as huge as some pregnant guinea pig pictures I've seen, and she hides it well with all that long white fur. I really hope it happens soon, but of course not if they're premature, I want happy healthy babies and I cant wait to see what they look like. Well I hope it doesnt come down to needing an emergency c-section, as it will be more then I can afford, but of course I will find a way to pay the payments on my mother's bill, so dont worry, I wont let her suffer if it comes down to it. She's in good hands, atleast I think so, she's very spoiled and she seems to love it lol.

-pollybug

Pollybug25's pets-

Ginger, chihuahua/mix

Brownie, Shihtzu

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 03:13 PM
the rodent lover<3

You seem like a very good parent! That's the attitude I like to see from people, the "i'll do whatever it takes" attitude. Good luck with the piggies! Be sure to take pictures

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 03:25 PM
Part of the Pack

Its very nice to see a person who does care about their 20 dollar pets.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 03:43 PM
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokuza View Post
Its very nice to see a person who does care about their 20 dollar pets.
I agree. I was on Yahoo! Answers and there was a person asking about hamsters, I can't exactly remember, but she says "I want a hamster, cheap and healthy, don't show me any high priced crap I don't want to spend alot of money on a 3 year living rat"

See how careless people can be?

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Part of the Pack

Indeed!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollybug25 View Post
Thanks again jennicat,

She is in a pretty good size home, and she does go to the bathroom in one corner, I put one of those absorbing sheets down, but she still get's dirty. My friend told me that guinea pigs arnt usually taken to the vet cause they're considered 'throw-away pets', but I feel that every living creature deserves a chance to live a happy and healthy life. Everyone thingks I'm silly being so excited for these babies, I'm always talking to her and giving her treats, and she gives me kisses (she's happy as long as I dont go near her belly) but she just looks so tierd now, I have been feeling those babies kick for almost 3 weeks now, shouldn't it be almost time? She's not as huge as some pregnant guinea pig pictures I've seen, and she hides it well with all that long white fur. I really hope it happens soon, but of course not if they're premature, I want happy healthy babies and I cant wait to see what they look like. Well I hope it doesnt come down to needing an emergency c-section, as it will be more then I can afford, but of course I will find a way to pay the payments on my mother's bill, so dont worry, I wont let her suffer if it comes down to it. She's in good hands, atleast I think so, she's very spoiled and she seems to love it lol.

-pollybug
People get out of pets what they put into them, you know? We frequently have people come and tell us that guinea pigs "only live 3 years" so why bother spending the money? They're astounded when we point out that we have multiple sanctuary piggies that are all 10 years of age and living with various types of health issues that are being treated and controlled with medication.

There are people that are the same way with dogs and cats -- it's really sad, but I think it reflects a lot on a person how callously they treat those living things that are beneath them.

Tags
babies, pregnancy, vet