Pregnant Piggie - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Red face Pregnant Piggie

Hi all,
I posted a note a short time ago and don't see it now. I will write a short one in case it doesn't show up. Does it take a while to show up in the threads?
I am new here so I want to say Hi All. but my biggest reason for posting is that I have a piggie, about 4 months old, who is pregnant. She apparently was living with boys when I got her. I am so afraid that something will happen to her. While I have been doing a lot of reasearch, I wonder if you could write what I need to know to make the delivery successful. What signs mean she is going into labor? How long after you note she is in labor does she actually deliver? What trouble spots should I look for?
I would appreciate any and all information anyone could give me.
Thanks a lot,
Danigirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 10:10 AM
I live in a Pigdom

It is a good thing this has happened before she turned a year however it is sad that people can't sex the pigs correctly in the first place and something like this happen.

Now onto guinea pig birthing; you will most likely be sleeping and wake up to extra eyes looking at you. I have had 14 sows give birth here, giving birth to a total of 51 pups, the surviving pups are 45. There have been many stillborn pups and so far all the sows have survived (knocks wood). Now just because the track record looks good here, doesn't mean your sow will be okay, in any pregnancy there are risks.

The labor and delivery process is a very short process. I had a sow here give birth to 8 pups and that only took a half hour tops. Trouble is when there are still pups inside and she has stopped laboring. You will have to get her into the vet immediately if this happens and you are aware of it (being it is durning the day or you are awake). My vet has alway been on call for me, and especially with the sow that had the large litter as she may have tired out and would have needed a c-section. However she birthed them all on her own, I only helped to stimulate 2 of the pups that she was too tired to take care of (they were the last ones born).

Read this as this is where I have learned most of the stuff on guinea pig pregnancy.

Let us know how things go and pictures are a must.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 11:50 AM
Part of the Pack

Also be sure to baby-proof your cage and lower the water bottles so the pups can reach!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

The babies are here! :cheers:

Just a quick note to tell you all that she had her babies! She had three and all, including mom, are doing great so far. I can't tell if they are boys or girls yet, I am still learning how to sex. The web has some good pictures, but they also have some that don't make sense. They should have pics of newborn piggies.
ANyway, thanks for the kind words, now I need help with what to do or not due with the babies and mom.
I will post more later.....with pics, I promise!
Danigirl
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 01:59 PM
Seeker of Orbs

congrats on the pups! glad they're ok.

looking forward to pics!

~beth

thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny

Tags
guinea pig