Question about a certain product - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question about a certain product

Wild Harvest: Western Timothy Essentials Mixture Hay And Pellets, 3 lb
(go to WalMart and search for 13281280)

Just how much timothy hay do you think is mixed in there?

Also, what are some good places to get large amounts of hay? I tried looking at Southern States but didn't see anything listed except small cubes in a bag. Be nice to know where I can get a large amount for low cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Rodentologist

Not nearly enough hay for daily eating!

A lot of people buy hay through Oxbow or Kleenmama's and have it shipped in. If there are pet stores locally that carry Oxbow, they'll generally have the bigger boxes too.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

What's the difference between 2nd/3rd cuts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Rodentologist

It's the number of cut. Usually off of a field you'll get a first cut and a second cut, and in some places you can get 3 cuts of hay. #1 cut is super coarse, they usually only feed it to cows or use it on lawns and stuff. #2 is softer, and that's most of the timothy/orchard that's out there for bunnies and rabbits. #3 is the softest, and the hardest to get, but it's good, good stuff and most of the little critters seem to prefer it.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 05:29 PM
is a little "special"

I buy hay by the bale from the stable I go horse back riding at. I get it for $5 a bale, and it last me a couple months.
If you get hay from a farm, make sure to ask what kind it is because you will want a bale of mainly grass hay and not alfalfa.

And IMO its best just to go with a plain timothy based pellet, with no add-ins of any kind. Oxbow is pretty much the best you can get, and Kaytee Timothy Complete is good too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Rodentologist

Also if you're in the SE, make sure you're not getting fescue. It's really prone to fungus, and most folks won't feed it to horses either.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 10:41 AM
I am allergic to maths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
I buy hay by the bale from the stable I go horse back riding at. I get it for $5 a bale, and it last me a couple months.
If you get hay from a farm, make sure to ask what kind it is because you will want a bale of mainly grass hay and not alfalfa.

And IMO its best just to go with a plain timothy based pellet, with no add-ins of any kind. Oxbow is pretty much the best you can get, and Kaytee Timothy Complete is good too.
The place I ride at will sell me a bale for £3 but I only buy it when they have 2nd cut in. Its a good idea to buy in bulk because its cheaper in the long run
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 12:30 PM
is a little "special"

Im not sure what cut mine is, but it seems to have a variety in it. There are some really hard/course pieces, and really soft grass-like ones too. Whatever it is, my buns and pigs absolutely LOVE it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Tags
essentials, timothy hay, wild harvest