question for pig experts... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Smile question for pig experts...

Now that Olly is healing nicely from his surgery (neutering), what's the best way of getting Ginger & Olly together? They already know each other, living side by side, since August. I've often switched them in their cages, so they are familiar with each other's scent. They've had limited actual interaction because I didn't want to risk pregnancy. (There has been a lot of face licking through the cages!) Olly is very even tempered, and about 11-12 months old. Ginger is very spirited and about 9-10 months old. I hope she isn't too tough for him! Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I want to do this right for the sake of their happiness! Note - Olly has been living in a 2x5 cavy cage, while Ginger has been in a smaller one. I can only extend to a 2x6, I think, with a 2x2 or 2x4 hay loft (not sure yet).

Last edited by Critterangels; 12-15-2005 at 02:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 01:53 PM
Playful Pup

joey

Hope this will help.
www.guineapigrescue.com or go to google and look up texas rustlers guinea pig rescue.

Good luck, They are very knowlegable.
lori Alexander
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thank you so much for the link! Unfortunately, Olly has developed an infection - so I'll have to postpone putting them together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Seeker of Orbs

aaawww, poor thing. hope he recovers better soon!

~beth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks! He's a little trooper!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 10:15 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I hope he recover soon too. I'm getting ready to neuter my little Abner so he can be put with my females. Make sure you wait a month afterwards. I've been told they're still fertile until then.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I read that too. It's been a month since his surgery, but I'm still going to wait until he's fully healed. When are you getting Abner neutered?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 12:15 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

As soon as I have the money.... Funny how that works...lol. Hopefully next month.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I know the feeling! Best of luck to you & let me know how the little guy does afterward.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Will do.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Adolescent Pup

Be shure to wait at least 3 weeks after the surgery to put them together.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for the info. I waited about 5 1/2 weeks before putting them together. Almost all of his swelling has gone down & he doesn't have any open wound. I'm taking him back to the vet for a checkup again this week. I think we're almost done! Anyway, both Ginger & Olly were getting so frustrated, I couldn't wait any longer to put them together. I extended their C&C cage to a 2 grid x 6 grids, so they should have enough space. It's been two days now. I think it's going well. He is bothering her a bit, though, & she either runs away or snaps a little. Then she goes over to him & licks his face! Mostly, they are side by side eating or sleeping, but not cuddling. Will that ever happen?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Seeker of Orbs

mine have never cuddled. pheonix tries but hagrid wants his space...

~beth

thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

The most "cuddling" mine ever do is going into the same pigloo at the same time.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

It sounds as if Ginger & Olly are almost a "normal" guinea pig couple. They haven't gone into the same pigloo yet, but we're close. Actually, when Olly & I returned home yesterday from the vet, Ginger went over to him & kept licking his face & body. Then she sat near him. I guess she missed him the 2 hours we were out! By the way, Olly is healing nicely. His recovery is almost complete! One more week of the antibiotic & we're done! Thanks to all for the support. I couldn't have gotten through it without you!

Tags
guinea pig, guinea pig rescue