Questions about piggies??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question Questions about piggies???

Well, I've been reading up, but much of the info that I have covers the breeds of pigs, not really a lot of "how to" info. So I have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me out with.

1. What type of bedding do you use? I know that there are different preferences out there, so please just list what you use.

2. What food do you guys use? And where do you get it?

3. I am planning on breeding and I have read that sows must be bred the first time before 7 months, but what is the ideal age for breeding a sow the first time?

4. Do they require an introduction period, or can you place them together immediately?

5. I have read that they need loose hay daily besides their pellets and veggies. Do you use loose hay?

6. What kind of toys do you give your piggy to play with?

Ok...that's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure I'll have more quesitons.

Thanks,
John & Zoo (chins, pigs & kids)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 05:58 PM
Jorgha

Wow. Lots of questions.

Bedding: Pine bedding. Cedar is a no-no.

Food: Guinea Pig food. LOL! Mazuri is best but you usually have to order it. Piggies need lots of vitamin C and water soluable vitamins are useless because they break down in light. Need a dark water bottle if you are going to use them. Instead you can feed oranges, broccoli, dandilion leaves (not the flowers). I am currently putting together a web page for PT on guinea pig nutrition, meanwhile, there are some really good piggy pages that I put up in the links section on the front page. Hay is actually more important than pellets in the pig diet. Pellets are made from alfalfa and are all fat and protien. They need the hay for vitamins, roughage, something to chew to keep the back teeth down. Pigs will actually eat more hay than pellets. The pellets are needed because they have vit. C in them. However, after about 6 months the vit.C in the pellets break down and you have no idea how long the pellets have been on the shelf in the store or in storage so don't depend on them for the main sorce of vit. C for the pggies.

Breeding. Must be bred before 8 months because the pelvic bone fuses. Don't breed before 5 months because they are not big enough and it can stress the piggy out to much.

Introduction: introduce as you would any two new animals.

Toys: ping pong ball (they push it around with their noses, its cute to watch), tubes.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 11:48 AM
P-Diggity Dog Lover

I only use aspen bedding. Kiln dried pine is also good - but harder to find.

I feed only Oxbow pellets & hays, along with a fresh salad daily.

Toys - hanging small bird toys - they love to ring bells, cat balls, toilet paper rolls, paper bags to name a few.

Donna
Dallas, Houston & Peanut the Prairie Dogs
Gypsy & Amber the Satos
Apache, Amigo, Max, and Morgan the Kitties
Scooter, Annie, Buttercup & Squeaky the Guinea Pigs
Mocha & Latte the Rat A Tats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 09:49 AM
Erin

1. What type of bedding do you use? I know that there are different preferences out there, so please just list what you use.
I use Pestell Pine, it's kiln dried. I've also used aspen, and tried carfresh, but it was too expensive for my extremely large cage that I built.

I use oxbow products. I buy cavy cuisine and cavy performance and mix them b/c I have 2 adults and 3 young pigs to feed. I buy it online at www.oxbowhay.com the quality it the best i've seen and everyone I know who buys it says the same.

3. I am planning on breeding and I have read that sows must be bred the first time before 7 months, but what is the ideal age for breeding a sow the first time? idea age is between 3 and 5 months of age

4. Do they require an introduction period, or can you place them together immediately? they do require introductions, sometimes guinea pigs will not get along no matter what you do. Introduce on nuetral ground for a few weeks at an hour or so a day, then move to a cage.... some fighting will occur, seperate if blood is being shed.

5. I have read that they need loose hay daily besides their pellets and veggies. Do you use loose hay? YES! this is VERY important for their digestive trac and it also has nutrients in it they need. There are several types for guinea pigs, I use Oxbow hay, all their types. Alfalfa hay should only be given to pregnant and nursing sows or pigs under 5 months of age. All the other types should be fed to pigs over 5 months. DAILY!

6. What kind of toys do you give your piggy to play with? tp rolls, wood chews, bird toys, stuff animals....

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 04:38 PM
Playful Pup

1. What type of bedding do you use?
I use old towels, since Rum Tum is allergic to practically every bedding that I have tried to use. Since the towels are old, there are barely any extra threads or loops sticking out. I have never had a problem with their nails getting stuck in the towel. Great on the environment also.

I use guinea pig pellets, Pacifica Yellow Value. It's a 13 lb. bag for 9.95 at Petland and also has the expiration date printed on the bag. I don't really care for it and plan to eventually change it to a Timothy hay based pellet when I find a good brand.

3. I am planning on breeding and I have read that sows must be bred the first time before 7 months, but what is the ideal age for breeding a sow the first time?
I would agree with about 5 months or so. Please be careful and read up very extensively prior to breeding as there are serious problems that could occur. Please keep the following in mind also: http://www.cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm

4. Do they require an introduction period, or can you place them together immediately?
After quarantining a new pig for 2-3 weeks, introductions should be conducted on neutral territory, such as a hallway or kitchen floor, etc. Be sure to monitor your cavies at this time, if blood is drawn, you need to separate them. Do expect some teeth showing, rumblestrutting, etc.

5. I have read that they need loose hay daily besides their pellets and veggies. Do you use loose hay?
Yes, it is a must. Alfalfa hay should be fed to pregnant, lactating, and cavies under 6 months of age. After this, timothy hay should be used.

Toilet paper roles, shoe boxes, paper bags, etc. A great link with lots of ideas: http://www.cavycages.com/toys.htm

A site with lots of great info: http://guinealynx.info/guinealynx/

Summer

The member formerly known as Sumerlei
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You must be the change you want to see in the world.

-Mahatma Gandhi
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 05:09 PM
Constantly Confused

. What type of bedding do you use? I know that there are different preferences out there, so please just list what you use. I use Pine bedding, with a layer of woodstove pellets under it the pine, in the area's the pigs tend to pee in.

2. What food do you guys use? And where do you get it? I use Oxbow Cavy Cusion(sp...prehaps the best cavy food out there now) I origannly got it from oxbow, but now i get it from a suppilar.

3. I am planning on breeding and I have read that sows must be bred the first time before 7 months, but what is the ideal age for breeding a sow the first time? Usually between 3-5 months is the best time to breed a sow, a boar can be bred at any time, however as he gets older, his sperm count may drop.

4. Do they require an introduction period, or can you place them together immediately? They require a 3-4 week quartine, away from all other pigs, It usually takes me 3-7 days to get my new pigs together, sometimes I have good luck, and they are together withen the first day, other times it takes a lot longer.

Yes I use loose timothy hay.

I give them little tubes that they can run in, plastic cat balls w/ the bells in them, and TP tubes, somethimes other things i can find that seems to be useful for them.

Tags
alfalfa hay, bird toys, dried pine, guinea pig, guinea pig food, guinea pig pellets, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, pig food, pine bedding, timothy hay