1. What type of bedding do you use?
I use old towels, since Rum Tum is allergic to practically every bedding that I have tried to use. Since the towels are old, there are barely any extra threads or loops sticking out. I have never had a problem with their nails getting stuck in the towel. Great on the environment also.
2. What food do you guys use? And where do you get it?
I use guinea pig pellets, Pacifica Yellow Value. It's a 13 lb. bag for 9.95 at Petland and also has the expiration date printed on the bag. I don't really care for it and plan to eventually change it to a Timothy hay based pellet when I find a good brand.
3. I am planning on breeding and I have read that sows must be bred the first time before 7 months, but what is the ideal age for breeding a sow the first time?
I would agree with about 5 months or so. Please be careful and read up very extensively prior to breeding as there are serious problems that could occur. Please keep the following in mind also: http://www.cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm
4. Do they require an introduction period, or can you place them together immediately?
After quarantining a new pig for 2-3 weeks, introductions should be conducted on neutral territory, such as a hallway or kitchen floor, etc. Be sure to monitor your cavies at this time, if blood is drawn, you need to separate them. Do expect some teeth showing, rumblestrutting, etc.
5. I have read that they need loose hay daily besides their pellets and veggies. Do you use loose hay?
Yes, it is a must. Alfalfa hay should be fed to pregnant, lactating, and cavies under 6 months of age. After this, timothy hay should be used.
6. What kind of toys do you give your piggy to play with?
Toilet paper roles, shoe boxes, paper bags, etc. A great link with lots of ideas: http://www.cavycages.com/toys.htm
A site with lots of great info: http://guinealynx.info/guinealynx/