Raisins, dates, and nails. (?) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

Question Raisins, dates, and nails. (?)

Are raisins and dates safe to feed in small amounts to GP's?

Regarding their nails, how long until I know to clip them and then how do I know the safe place to do so without hitting a vein?

I just got, as you saw in another thread, two new piggies, and their nails seem long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 10:51 PM
I live in a Pigdom

Raisins and dates like once a month. They have too much sugar in them for guinea pigs.

If they seem long then they probably are. I would snip off a lil bit today and then next week a lil bit more until you think they are at a reasonable length. The lil bit technique helps their quiks recede with out knicking them. Then there are the people that just want to get it done and snip away, you should have quik stop if that is the way you go. That way if you accidently knick the quik (I rhymed) you can get it to stop bleeding.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:13 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I never give mine raisons and dates because of the sugar levels plus mine have way too much other stuff to worry about them anyway lol! I agree on the nails front you have to be very careful i trim my piggies nails once a month or when i feel they need doing and i only take ends off. I have accidently caught the quick before as the piggy in question moved and he has very black claws but i held his foot in water for a few seconds to stem blood flow and then applied pressure with some cotton wool and it stopped within 30 seconds and he was fine although next time he saw me coming with clippers he was off. I've had friends who have taken there pets to the vets and they have cut through the quick before, so it does happens! The thing to do is take your time, make sure you have a firm grip of the piggies paw and only take the very ends off and no more, if after a week they are still long take a tiny bit more off and don't worry too much if you do accidently catch the quick as you can panic at the time just remember to be more careful next time and make sure you stop the blood flow properly and keep an eye on your piggy!

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 12:19 PM
Seeker of Orbs

i was wondering that too- about the quik...is it the white line or there's a reddish line in the nail too?

i think haggy came with one of his toes messed up,cuz when we first held him and looked it was like one of his back toes was kinda turned in but his nails didn't seem long at all........ i know that happens with dogs- if you don't cuz their nails their toes can turn.....

~beth

thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:33 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The quick tends to be the red line you see running down the centre of the claw, depending on your piggies claws depends whether or not you can see it or not, both mine have black claws so impossible to see

Kirsty

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4piggers
. . . That way if you accidently knick the quik (I rhymed) you can get it to stop bleeding.
Nick the Quick. Sounds like a ballplayer!

I will snip a little. It will be easier than with my bunny.

I left out a date; neither seemed interested.

Yes, I adopted them both.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Amethystbelle,

Thanks. Very useful information.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

No worries at all i know what its like to nick the quick and panic and think oh no i've killed my piggy

Kirsty

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

It is really interesting how every day the two of them, especially Lily, warm up to me and get friendlier. So, yes, they sure do get tamer.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 01:22 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

One of mine, Fudge was really tame when i got him but his son Elvis (as i rescued them explaining age difference) was a baby and was ever so timid as he had never been handled and used to run off and hide but i tamed him over time and now they are both there everytime they hear the door opening and squealing for food, they are ever so greedy

Kirsty

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:02 PM
Seeker of Orbs

i personally think hagrid hates me. lol! he has this look in his eyes. i dunno...... he acts like he's warming up to me then next thing i know he's like....NO TOUCHY!

nothin' like some good ol' mixed messages!

~beth

thank you!--->

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

I have noticed they are always ready to eat! Little eating machines! Chickory and carrots so far go the quickest. The did not touch Cheerios, btw.

As for their nails, they are about 4mm past the quick, which I can plainly see through the transluscent nail. I will clip soon.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 04:36 PM
Seeker of Orbs

how about bananas? i forget...short term memory loss, you know.

~beth

thank you!--->

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Me too. I meant to try bananas yesterday but forgot to get them.

I am going to cut down on veggies a little until they eat a little mix.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 12:36 AM
Seeker of Orbs

well, hubby and i clipped nails tonight....i only half caught the quick once. it started bleeding, but i hadn't really cut the nail (got a bit into it then stopped cuz he SQUEEEEEEEEELED so i left it)....will go back and trim in a few days?

poor baby....got lots of salad tho!

~beth

thank you!--->

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny

Tags
guinea pig