Photos! Sammy Sam! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Sammy Sam!

So okay, his name is Sam, but I always call him Sammy sam.
He arrived at our house with his brother. They were tiny little babies that we were fostering with my mom for the shelter I worked at at the time.
My boss took them to our house on my day off, and we realised when she brought them to us that Sammy Sam was missing a foot! I think he was born like that, he has the leg, but it ends in a stub and he has no foot.
Because of that, we decided to keep him. My boss said very few people came to the shelter for rodents and we usually had to place them by calling lots of people and posting online ads, and that with a foot missing he'd have little chances of getting adopted. He was so cute we decided to just keep him
He's now 4 years old, almost 5. He loves his veggies! so much so that we feed him an all fresh diet. He doesn't drink water from his bottle anymore because he gets it all from the fresh fruits and veggies. The only problem, we can't find which one he's reacting to! he's allergic to something we give and it does a little scab on his upper lip from time to time. The vet said it was ok because he's in otherwise perfect health. We're still trying to figure it out!
[
[
Here's baby sammy sam when he first arrived at our house in my Dad's hand.

[
[
His brother that arrived the same day who got adopted by people with lots of piggies.

[
[
sammy sam all grown up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:50 PM

Ahhh he is so cute! I want one really bad, but I don't know if I can or not yet. My husband is being a jerk and won't let me get any more animals lol. :'(
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

well you already have a lot!
I had to talk to my boyfriend about rats for WEEKS! before I finally forced Louna on him. Now he thinks she's adorable and is jealous she likes me more than him, but he still refuses to let me get her a playmate! I think that when i come back from visiting my parents in New York, whenever I find a very cute baby rat I'll bring her home without asking his permission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 03:34 PM

I know I do have a lot already, but that's always helped me win arguments by saying "what's 2 more gonna hurt?" lol. If I get rid of the chaise lounge in the living room... that'd be a perfect spot to build a C&C cage for some piggies And besides.. that chaise lounge is the DOGS couch... he doesn't need it lol.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 04:04 PM

Oh my goodness!!! Sammy Sam is sooo adorable as a baby!!!! Like my Abby...now i can see what she will look like as an adult...he looks so handsome and cuddly!!! Abby jumped out of my daughters hands about 3 weeks ago. She went about 12 inches into her cage....( I was so upset and mad and heartbroken) The vet said that it wasnt broken, possibly sprained...she uses it more now...but still babies it a bit. She gets around fine though, she said she should be fine. Poor little guy without a foot
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Those piggies are so cute!! I can't believe he was missing a foot! Crazy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

It's funny because if you scratch behind his ear on the side of the missing foot, he'll still pretend like he's scratching himself and move his leg but it looks funny because there's no foot haha! He doesn't suffer from it and since he has longer hair you can't even see it! The only thing is since he's a male, his testicles touch the bottom of the cage more since he's lower on one side, so we make sure the bottom of his cage is comfy, and we check regularly to make sure the stump and his manly package are doing fine lol

Ah it's true that a piggy cage instead of a chaise lounge is much better But poor Poker! where will he go? haha

it's when I saw abby in a picture you posted I thought about showing Sammy!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 04:51 PM

well i'm so glad you posted his pigture...and that you keep his package clean....LOL Poor guy, makes him all that more special i'm sure
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

we do trim some little hair pieces he has on his butt, I don't know if they would have been visible on this picture, but he has 1 or 2 little strands that go up and are really long on his butt, we didn't like it and they always got dirty so we cut them when it grows too long. So maybe your piggy will have that too!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I guess it's a good thing we've been remembering Sammy's life and his baby pictures.

My mom just told me he past away last night. she was too shocked to tell me how, so I'll know more later.
I'm really sad, gonan dream about him tonight that's for sure.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Oh no!! I'm so sorry RIP Sweet Sammy Sam

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 02:00 AM

Oh no!! I am in shock... Let us know what you find out, and I am so sorry for your loss!!

RIP Sammy Sam
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I said he was 4, but my mom tells me he was 5, and I realized that it's really been 4 years this summer since I moved away from home already and I lived with Sam in the house for a year. So 5 is pretty old for a guinea pig already.

She says he started eating less, which for guinea pigs right away is the sign something's wrong. So she checked his teeth to rule out mal occlusion, and it turns out one of his upper tooth was too long and the other really short, so she cut the one that was a bit too long.
After cutting it, he would only eat from her hand so she thought perhaps it hurt him and waited an another day.
She feels really guilty to not have taken him to the vet right away because the next morning he had signs of upper respiratory infection, she gave baytril like the vet said on the phone and he died 3 days later, she caught it too late.
She really feels it's her fault so she couldn't tell me last night.

so sad for poor little Sammy. He fought but he was too weak already.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 01:18 PM
can't think of one, help

He lived a long and happy, well pampered life.

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 01:53 PM

Oh NO! Dustette i'm so very sorry about Sammy Sam! May he live long and popcorn happily over the Rainbow Bridge, poor ole man. Thanks for sharing his pigtures with us! HUGZ

Tags
orange pig