Shocked! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Smile Shocked!

Well everyone I still have to talk to my mom about it but there is someone on the local freecyclers group here who just posted about getting rid of their gp...just because the daughter doesn't want him anymore. From the sounds of it he hasn't been held much and needs a lot of work but I'm willing to do everything I can to tame him down if I get him. So I'm wondering if I could get some info on GPs from all you wonderful people here at PT. I'm honestly shocked someone would just toss an ad on freecyclers and it saddens me but I guess sometimes stuff like this happens.

I am searching for information but I figured this would be an awesome place to come for info to

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Momma to: 2 human children Audree (2) and Jacob (7 mo.)
3 Doggies: Angel (13), Cricket (1), and Diesel (4mo.)
1 Kitty: Mazey (Age unknown)
2 ferrets - Mocha and Marshall
1 bunny - Ice

Working to make a change, one paw at a time!
Volunteer - Skinny Little Buddy's Rescue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

ive never had a GP, jus thought it was great that your gonna rescue him and give him the home he deserves.. i think if you have a rabbit GP's arent too far off just little changes in diet and things i would think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 07:10 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

oh im jelous
I would so love to have one of those
they are cu-uuuu-t-e
lol
good luck on taming it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm actually trying to figure out what kind of GP he may be, she says he has curly/wavy hair so I'm wondering if he could be a young peruvian or a texel...hmm Not sure...

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

1 bunny - Ice

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

MOM SAID YES!!!!! I'm getting a GP and on top of it a rescue, I am soooo happy. She said that he is my responsibility though, which I'm fine with, I cannot wait to pick the lil guy up.

1 bunny - Ice

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Rodentologist

I'd check out the following websites:

Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home
Guinea Lynx :: A Medical and Care Guide for Your Guinea Pig
Guinea Pig Education, Care, Rescue and Adoption at Cavy Spirit

Guinea pigs are also social animals, so you may want to consider adding a friend for him.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat
I'd check out the following websites:

Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home
Guinea Lynx :: A Medical and Care Guide for Your Guinea Pig
Guinea Pig Education, Care, Rescue and Adoption at Cavy Spirit

Guinea pigs are also social animals, so you may want to consider adding a friend for him.
Thanks for the links Jen. I am thinking about another pig in the near future but not right away because I'm not sure if I could handle 2 at the moment. However I will definitely give him lots of extra care and attention!

1 bunny - Ice

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat
if hes not been handled very much in the past wouldnt it be a good idea to keep him alone for a little bit so he warms up to people?

My Furry Family
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnstuff
if hes not been handled very much in the past wouldnt it be a good idea to keep him alone for a little bit so he warms up to people?

That's another thing I was thinking about. I would like some bonding time with him before running out and getting another piggy and like I said before I think for right now one is going to be enough for me. I don't think I could handle two at this point in time but some time soon down the road.

1 bunny - Ice

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

yay!! i just rescued one too!! they are so much fun

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I bet I can't wait to see my little guy, she emailed me back this morning and she is going to bring him to me around noon. I am so excited, I can't wait to meet the little guy. I will definitely have to get him a better cage soon though, they've got him in a 10 gallon fish tank....ICK...poor baby probably doesn't have much room to do anything in. I wish people could be more educated...I also wish I didn't have to see this stuff on my local freecyclers list....I got another email this morning that someone posted about "easter bunnies" It honestly enraged me and I am going to be emailing the administrator about it to see if anything can be done because honestly, last I knew we weren't suppose to post animals on there....It's sad.

So where's all our piggy people today!!!!! I wanna hear from you all!

1 bunny - Ice

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 11:40 AM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnstuff
Not really. Guinea pigs are naturally skittish creatures. Keeping them by themselves actually makes them more fearful because they are outside of their "herd". They view numbers in safety.

Imagine walking down an alley by yourself and being approached by a stranger, or walking down an alley with a friend and being approached by a stranger. With your friend, you would probably feel more secure, because the "odds" so to speak, are in your favor.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Seeker of Orbs

i think as a general "rule" it's a good idea to have more than one, but i'll tell ya....i'm not 100% convinced. Hagrid and pheonix still are at odds, still hassel each other, still rear up....and when i have Pheonix out and hagrid's in the cage he acts like "FINALLY...the little pipsqueak is gone!!" and is actually more 'brave' and outgoing. we've had them together since....June '05.....

it's something i think is, obviously up to the owner, cuz you know your pet best, but generally they do better together.

congrats on the addition tho!

looking forward to pics and news!

Definitely check out guineapigcages.com and those links posted above....

~beth

thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny

Last edited by TNSWfan80; 03-24-2007 at 12:01 PM.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Here he is:

He seems a lot more tame then they said but his nails are really bad, they're getting long and curling over really bad so I'm going to get the nail clippers and see if he'll let me clip them...other then that he looks healthy but he definitely needs a bigger cage.

1 bunny - Ice

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

EEEK!!! Sorry for the big pics, I didn't expect that and it won't let me edit my post to fix it...

1 bunny - Ice

Tags
fish tank, guinea lynx, guinea pig, guinea pig cage, guinea pig cages, guinea pig education, pig cages, social animals