Shy baby GP - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Smile Shy baby GP

Hi,

I know it is normal for guinea pigs to be somewhat shy but my new baby (Brownie) seems to be a little more than that. We adopted her about two and a half weeks ago and she won't leave her blanket. She is about six or seven weeks old. She is eating and drinking well but seems to be overly bashful. I try to get her to go and exercise and walk around and all she wants to do is hide under the blanket. If I remove the blanket she squeals loudly. She has been getting better and does venture out by herself but within a couple minutes is jumping and running around squealing. I can take her outside and as long as I am holding her she loves to be out there. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I have a hamster and when she was 3 weeks old she was very nervous being around anyone but now she is nine months old and will walk on my shoulder and loves to be around us (until she tires of us). Any suggestions ?? Should I just wait some more time?? Am I just a little too worried too quickly??

Thanks for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 02:06 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

gp's are really really shy normally... and like to hide.. if she comes out in a few mins thats good... and will slowly gain trust.. you have to realise that they are prey animals with very little defence other than being able to detect danger and hide.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 02:50 AM
Adolescent Pup

Yeah, like with most small animals, no swooping action from above. Also if you're watching her in her pen, make sure you're not casting a shadow over it. Shadow movements really freak out little animals, so if you're trying to create a calm atmosphere for her, not a good idea!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~2 gerbils, Cheech and Cookie

~2 degus, Diego and Luna (rescues!)

~1 old rat, Touille (Too-ee - rescue!), 2 babies, Cassius and Columbus

~A naughty old Jack Russell, Jack (rescue doggy)

~A dopey Black and White Shorthair, also Jack!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 05:30 AM
Rodentologist

Guinea pigs are very shy creatures, but they are also very social creatures, who feel safer with a friend. Lone guinea pigs can be even more shy and fearful of their surroundings because they don't have the safety of even one herd member.

I'd suggest checking out one of the six or so guinea pig rescues in CA and think about adopting her a friend.

HOwever, if any of this behavior is accompanied by crusty eyes, labored breathing, and/or sneezing, be sure to get her to a vet, as respiratory infections and other nasty diseases are common with guinea pigs, especially if she came from a pet store.

Tags
guinea pig, guinea pig rescue, pet store, respiratory infection, respiratory infections