Their urine smells bad when they eat extra hay - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Their urine smells bad when they eat extra hay

My guinea pigs seemed to prefer their Timothy hay more than their pellets lately so I was giving them extra hay. I've noticed that their urine seems to smell bad when I did that.....I've cut back on the hay and the stink went away. What is going on with that?

BTW: They are both female. One is 3 yrs old, the other is 2 yrs old. They live in the same cage. I usually clean the cage twice a week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlette
My guinea pigs seemed to prefer their Timothy hay more than their pellets lately so I was giving them extra hay. I've noticed that their urine seems to smell bad when I did that.....I've cut back on the hay and the stink went away. What is going on with that?

BTW: They are both female. One is 3 yrs old, the other is 2 yrs old. They live in the same cage. I usually clean the cage twice a week.
I get that with the rabbits and chins...I found they were peeing where the hay was and that was what was making it stink so quickly. I put everyones hay in wire cubes and hung them up. No where near as stinky now! I really think for my rabbits especially that it was due to peeing on the hay. How do you keep the hay in the GP's cages? Can you tell if they are peeing on it?

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

I put the hay on the floor of the cage. I don't think it's because they are peeing on it because they will eat every piece of hay I put in there. The hay isn't around for more than half the day. They LOVE it!

Rhonda

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 03:34 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Hmmm...then I'm all out of ideas...Sorry sweetie!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

I thought maybe one or both had a UTI but their urine doesn't smell bad when I cut back on the amount of hay I feed.

Rhonda

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 10:55 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Hmmm, thats really weird. I don't think the smell would be from them peeing on it because I put tons of hay in my bunny litter boxes and they don't smell any worse than without the hay. Did you switch to a different brand of hay or is it what you always use?

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl
Hmmm, thats really weird. I don't think the smell would be from them peeing on it because I put tons of hay in my bunny litter boxes and they don't smell any worse than without the hay. Did you switch to a different brand of hay or is it what you always use?
Oh, and I'm not saying your bunnies' hay doesn't stink when peed on Mandie!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 07:29 AM
I live in a Pigdom

I have 25 and they free feed on pellets and hay. I have never noticed a smell, I keep their hay contained in homemade hayracks. I don't know what to tell you...

Sorry.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 07:32 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl
Oh, and I'm not saying your bunnies' hay doesn't stink when peed on Mandie!
More so Dutchie's than Lucky's...not sure why...maybe because Dutchie isn't neutered yet?

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

I have always given them Oxbow hay, so there was no changes.

I guess I'll just give them smaller amounts of hay from now on.

Rhonda

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 10:03 AM
I live in a Pigdom

I would watch out for malocclusion if you are going to limit their hay. Hay helps them grind their teeth down and also provides fiber for their digestive tracts.

Here is my hay rack that keeps the hay up off the floor and also from being peed on. I know when mine pee on their hay it gets a smell.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 06:58 PM
Formerly known as Lvnmycritters

Mine also free feed on pellets and hay. I always assumed it was because of the water consumption that produced more urine. I don't think the brand of hay would have anything to do with the smell. What type of veggies do you feed them? that may be an issue. Too much or not enough. Water would have the biggest impact on urine output.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 07:01 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla_Girl
More so Dutchie's than Lucky's...not sure why...maybe because Dutchie isn't neutered yet?
Yep, I noticed that their urine doesn't smell as bad after they are fixed. Weird huh?

Tags
guinea pig, hay rack, litter box, litter boxes, timothy hay