Thinking about getting a third piggie... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thinking about getting a third piggie...

I'm thinking about getting a third pig (a female from a rescue) & would like to know if there is a big difference between having 2 versus 3. Ginger & Olly (neutered male) are getting along fine. It's been about 3 weeks now since I put them together (& he recovered from being neutered). She's feisty, but they haven't had major problems. (They were in separate cages, side by side since August; so hardly strangers to each other.) They live in a 2 x 6 cavy cage, so I'm not sure if that's enough room for a third one. I may be able to make the cage a little wider, but not by much. Space is limited. Also, Olly still has to have his hernia surgery in a few weeks. Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 08:12 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Sorry, I only had pairs. Where is crazy4piggers?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 09:47 PM
I live in a Pigdom

The only difference there will be is you will have to feed them more food as they will go through it faster. That and you have to watch personalities, just like introducing 2 it is all that much more traumatic for the newbie meeting 2 at the same time. Keep an eye on the proceedings and all should go well. That and asking a rescue about a personality of a pig you are interested in and comparing it to the 2 you already have is an important thing to do.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

The female I'm looking at is about 4-5 months old. She was part of a group abandoned & will not be released until the rescue is sure she's not pregnant. The only reason I'm worried is that Ginger is a bit of a diva. I know 2 females & 1 male is an ok combination, if they all get along. If not, I won't have the room to separate them properly. At least, I only have room for the one big cage; any other cage will be significantly smaller. My heart is in the right place, but I'll have to really think about it some more. Thanks for the advice! It's times like this that I wish I lived in a house & not an apartment!

Tags
neutered male, separate cages