Timothy hay question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Naked Dog Mom

Timothy hay question

Anyone know how long timothy hay stays "fresh"? I give it to my degus and still have about 2/3 of the bag I got when I got them several weeks ago.

I work at Petco, and we are currently having a sale on Alfalfa King (I think?) brand alfalfa hay and timothy hay. It looks much greener than any other I've seen, and I'm tempted to get it while they are buy one get one free, but I'm wondering how long I have before it will become less green and fresh looking, so that I know whether or not it's worth buying more hay now as opposed to waiting.

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 01:08 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Get lots and lots and send some my way too. Hay will basically keep forever if kept in a dry, vented, clean location. I keep mine in a cardboard box with holes in my chin room (low humidity). The cardboard allows it to 'breathe' whereas plastic could lock in moisture. I bought a 30lb box 6 months ago from a seller in washington and am just now down to the 'crumbs.' It's still green and fresh and the chinnies love it.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 08:53 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree totally, as long as you keep the hay sealed in a dry place that it can breathe then it will keep for as long as possible, i used to buy big bales when i had rabbits and it lasted a long long time

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Tags
alfalfa hay, cardboard box, chin room, timothy hay