Too small a cage... ? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Too small a cage... ?

I have one guinea pig, Meredith, and she sleeps in the garage in a cage about 1 foot long and 2 feet wide. She is fairly big, hence her nickname: Chubbles , and so do you guys think this is too small a home for her?
She spends most of the days in a big cage outside on the grass and goes in during the night. She seems like she likes her small cage well enough but maybe she should have more room.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 12:12 PM
is a little "special"

Yes, your piggy should definatly have a bigger cage! Guinea pigs should have about 5-7 square feet of room in their cage. Even if she does spend the majority of her time in the large outdoor cage, sh will definatly appreciate a bigger indoor one!
If shes living lone, you might wanna consider getting her a friend too C:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Ohh now I feel bad... :\ Imma go get her a bigger cage really soon.. hopefully today! I bet/hope she's gonna love the change!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Don't feel bad! At least you're fixing it--that shows you care!!

Mandy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 10:43 PM
is a little "special"

yeah, dont feel bad. Piggles dont know theyre "supposed" to get a certain amount of room and whatnot, so she was still happy. ^^
And thats great your getting her a new cage already! Have you ever tried makeing a NIC cage? Theyre easy and cheap, and you can make them pretty massive too LOL

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

how big is her big outdoor cage?

Honestly, I think a smaller cage at night would be ok if she has a large one for the day, a friend would be good though

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 07:20 AM
Rodentologist

Jess, I appreciate that you're trying to comfort the OP, but animals do develop problems associated with too small cages. Not only do many of them develop "neurotic" behaviors associated wtih boredom (since one of their primary methods of play is running), they can also develop physical problems associated with poor circulation and movement. It has nothing to do with them knowing how big their cage is supposed to be, it's the fact that they can't do the activities that will enrich them mentally.

Kendalle: In a cage that small, likely any friend would start fighting. It's not impossible, because we've gotten poor pigs in cages that size, but most pigs won't tolerate being jammed into something that tiny with another pig.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 08:18 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i wasn't saying to put a friend in that cage, just that a friend would be nice and it could either have its own cage at night, both have a larger cage at night or whatever.

as stated it has a large cage out side for the day time, i was asking what size that cage was.

Also, I doubt it would be that bored in a cage at night, as i recall, guinea pigs are active during the day, so if its in a large cage during the day, then sleeping in a smaller cage shouldn't be that harmful.

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 09:30 AM
is a little "special"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbleLover View Post
She spends most of the days in a big cage outside on the grass and goes in during the night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
Jess, I appreciate that you're trying to comfort the OP, but animals do develop problems associated with too small cages. Not only do many of them develop "neurotic" behaviors associated wtih boredom (since one of their primary methods of play is running), they can also develop physical problems associated with poor circulation and movement. It has nothing to do with them knowing how big their cage is supposed to be, it's the fact that they can't do the activities that will enrich them mentally.

I know that can happen, but this piggie was only in the small cage at night. It sounds like Chubbles had her enrichment and excercise during the day... If she was kept in the small cage 24/7, I would have replied differently.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 09:57 AM
Rodentologist

Actually Kendalle, I think you're thinking of some other creature. Guinea pigs are active both day and night. They nap at various times throughout both day and night, and then wake to eat and play. With the way their internal systems are designed, they would go into stasis if they laid down and slept all night. A common complaint from guinea pig owners that keep them in the bedroom is that they're very LOUD as they run laps and drink from their bottles and wheek to each other.

Even if the pig is only in the tiny cage at night, he's more than likely spending at least 12 hours by himself, bored out of his mind. If anyone locked a dog in a crate for 12 hours, people would not find that humane, so I'm not sure why it seems to be ok for piggies?

Also, guinea pigs should not be put together and separated for "playtimes" if at all possible, because it's extremely stressful for them. They sort out dominance when they meet with another pig, and will do so over and over and over again.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
how big is her big outdoor cage?

Honestly, I think a smaller cage at night would be ok if she has a large one for the day, a friend would be good though
I'm not exactly sure, I haven't measured it, but it is significantly bigger than her night cage. : )
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

do you know about what? like 3 foot by 3 foot? or bigger maybe 6'x6' or what?

[/CENTER]

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

My guess is about five by six feet. Something like that.

Tags
cage, guinea pig, size