trying to adopt... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Seeker of Orbs

Smile trying to adopt...

well, ok, i'm kindof excited cuz were trying to adopt a baby boy pigger from a mid. TN rescue. she said the only 2 left are the runt and the biggest of the litter. she said to bring hagrid overin the next few weeks (as the baby's are just a few weeks) to meet the 2 and see if they latch on....hubby and even the lady said it's really up to hagrid.

here's hopin'!

the two red ones are left.....the cute runty one is the one burried under the others. lol i sure hope hagrid likes ONE of 'em!

a better shot

~beth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny

Last edited by TNSWfan80; 06-28-2005 at 04:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 11:50 AM
Part of the Pack

Awwww! I love orange piggies, the little runt is so cute. His orange brother looks like a texel with that wavy hair.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Seeker of Orbs

Question long ride tips?

hey,

does anyone have any good advice for long road trips (it'll be about 3hrs. each way..)? Hagrid will be in a cat carrier thingy...will have blanky, hay, a pillow....will bring some lettece and snacks in a cooler?

how about water?
anything else?

~beth

thank you!--->

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

You could attach one of those pet bottles do the door of the carrier if it has the wire grid panel in the door. Good luck on your trip!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 06:03 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I have found the problem with water is no matter what kind of bottle you use or dish it will always leak out on a car journey with the vibrations of the road. If he has lettuce and other veggies he should be fine and i assume you will be making scheduled stops so just attach his water bottle then and if he wants a drink he will do if he doesn't he won't and will probably just have a good drink when he gets there

The piggies look very cute and goodluck on the adoption, i hope it all goes well for you and Hagrid

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 08:56 AM
I live in a Pigdom

I agree with Amethystbelle bring the water bottle with and when you are at a stop for a while hook it up and let him have a drink, when you are ready to go again take the bottle off.

Bring veggies that have lots of water content (no iceberg lettuce) fruits too.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Seeker of Orbs

what about keeping the water in a cooler? someone told me they shouldn't have ice cold water?

thanks!

~beth

thank you!--->

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 11:37 PM
I live in a Pigdom

My pigs like the colder the better, especially on hot days.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 01:30 AM

Sounds like you are getting some good advice already!. I just returned home yesterday after taking my piggies on a long weekend trip. The drive home was 3 hours. I actually took my Mom piggie, Felice, and her 3 babies who are 9 days old today. They all did great. I have taken all of my piggies on car rides a lot and they have always done well. The veggie idea instead of water is a great idea. The water bottle will really leak the whole ride and make your bedding all wet. With veggies that are high in water content, you piggie should be fine without water for 3 hours. I like to give mine lots of lettuce that has just been washed and not drained real well so they are still watery. My piggies also looooove seedless watermelon so that is a great treat to give them in the car. I like to give them something special in the car, like watermelon, so they have good feelings about it.
The last few trips we have taken we have put the piggies in a small cage that fits easily in the back seat of the car. This gives them ample room for the car ride and also allows room for a house or pigloo. I have found that mine like to spend a lot of their time in the house resting. The motion of the car seems to put mine to sleep. When we stop moving they actually squeek until we are moving again!
One more thing....my daughter sits right next to them in the back seat and we always make sure the side cage door is one her side so she can open the door and pet any one that may get a little nervous. She also will take them out and put them on her lap for a bit sometimes. Then the piggies don't mind the car ride at all! I am hesitant about letting her do it to much because if we were in an accident I would prefer they were in the cage for safety reasons.
You should also brind a couple of light sheets or towels so that you can cover the cage if necessary. Sometimes they are in direct sunlight so you would want to cover the cage where the sun is shining in. If you have back vents or the fan for air conditioning or heat is on strong, check the air flow and see if it is blowing right into the cage/carrier. If so, then cover that part also. Don't cover the whole cage, however, because there needs to be circulation of air.

Those are all my tips, hope you have a great trip!
Denise
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Seeker of Orbs

thanks everyone!

~beth

thank you!--->

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny