Uh, oh... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
And here I am again, showing my butt!

Smile Uh, oh...

I just found out from a friend that there are 2 female piggies at the Humane Society looking for homes right this very minute... I was planning on doing some volunteer work there during this time of "career uncertainty." Wonder if I should just pop in to offer my services today??

Who here thinks I'll be popping out with 2 more piggies?!? Ah, DH would NOT like that at all...

But I have spare time on my hands! I have room for more piggies! I looooove piggies! I can't say no!!

Oh, save me SpottyPoo!! I'm waiting for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 03:23 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Go for it girl!!!

You can always be a professional animal care taker like me.

Only down point is you don't get paid for it
But who cares because you'll be an
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Well, I went down there to see them and they are just the sweetest little girls!! They are solid orange/reddish and are extremely skittish. Their nails are so long that they are beginning to curl under.

They look like they were very well taken care of and they are healthy. But I didn't bring them home with me. I'm not sure why -- I just didn't do it. I guess it didn't feel right or something, like not a good fit. I dunno!!

Yeah, my husband has always said that I should be an animal advocate, that I should just stop looking for another career and do something with animals. If I had my way, I'd be running a piggie rescue, but not only is there no pay in that, I'd have to be shovelling out cash we don't really have!!

While I was at the humane society, I signed up to be a volunteer. They said someone will call me next week about what they need. How fun that's gonna be!! And this place is cleaner and smells sooo much better than most pet stores I've been in...even had the waiting room decorated in a fall theme!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 06:53 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

SP yay! good for you! I would love to do the same thing at a shelter.

I know what you mean about "not the right fit" - it has to feel right. It's good that you can trust your gut like that.

Good Luck with your new volunteer work! I know you are going to be great at it. It sounds like a nice shelter - I used to live in Charlotte and I can't for the life of me remember where the Humane Society facility was - I know I was there once

I miss Charlotte!!

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Deja, I didn't know you used to live here! How long ago and why did you move to NJ of all places?!

The HS is off Remount Road. An easy drive right off 77-N. I passed it on the way to school every day.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 07:57 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Did I hear an orange/reddish piggie needs a home?? Ohhhh, how I wish I had room. SP, you should definitely do something with animals. That's your passion, go with it. If you can develop a good clientele you might make it with a pet-sitting business. Dog-walking has become a big thing up here.

Life Is Short
Stay Awake For It! Caribou Coffee

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

I would do nothing but play with them all day long!! And surely no one would pay me for playing with animals all day...that just sounds too easy.

Yes, there are TWO orange/reddish piggies -- sisters. Where do you live, Pigsterz?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 10:03 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Whoo, good thing I live up here in Northern VA. Actually, I really can't have any more as much as I want to. I live in an apt. and they've gots them stupid rules. If we had our own house I'd have a houseful of pets. Hehehe.

Maybe there's a demand for doggie daycare out your way? They charge like $20 - 25 per dog/per day. Now they even have this swanky pet resort that they built out here. Some of the boarding prices are higher than a low-end hotel! Check it out, might give you some ideas...
http://www.oldetownepetresort.com/indexf.html

Life Is Short
Stay Awake For It! Caribou Coffee

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 10:04 PM
Formerly Known as Masterjack

Well I have a hunch that after you start volunteering that you'll see those little pigs there and have a change of heart!

I called our humane society last summer about doing some volunteer work, I had too many schedule conflicts, but next summer looks promising.

Have fun!

I've Been Frosted!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 12:50 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

SP I lived in Charlotte back in '95. I was there for just short of 2 years and it was the best place I have ever lived! I loved it. It felt like *home* and I miss living there so much!

We moved there from NJ because my husband-unit was wooed by one of the big financial companies - it was booming down there at the time. They plucked him off Wall Street, along with a lot of NYers! He didn't like the work and - can you imagine- he missed NYC!!
(what is in the Nations Bank building now anyway? They no longer exist right?)
Long story even longer - LOL - we'd been moving around a lot for about 5 years. Chicago, NJ, Charlotte, then back to NJ where he went back to his old firm and has been there ever since.

Me- I am a native NYer/NJ girl who just ended up back home. When we moved back it was really time to put down roots because I didn't want to move the kids again once they started HS.

I would move back to Charlotte in a heartbeat. I loved that city so much!! For me to still miss it after all these years says a lot!
Sometimes I still wake up and think I am in my house in Charlotte!
How weird is that?

Alas- hub-unit is a Wall Street dude and that is where his heart (and paycheck) is LOL.

Remount Rd!! ok I have the general area in mind now! I lived on the South Side - just south of 51. That school system (meck county) had the best music/performing arts program I have ever seen.
Someday I want to go back!!

[center]

[
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 07:53 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sp- I started pet sitting- I'm aiming for mostly a dog walking/playing service while people go to work. I have 1 customer so far and all I do is play with this puppy and let her out to go potty- I GET PAID FOR IT!!!!
I really haven't tried too hard to get more customers because I've had home/family problems, but I plan to start doing more pet sitting soon. Believe me , you can make money at this!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Well, you just come on down when you're ready, Deja, and you can stay with us!! We live on the southside, too, out near Ballantyne (was that here when you were?).

I don't think NationsBank exists anymore, but the Bank of America building is still the tallest building we've got. (I call it "the big d%@$" 'cause that's what it looks like!!!)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 06:50 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

OMG!! SP!! yep that's the building and i am dying laughing here because that's what I used to call it too!! LOL!!!
The tallest building in the skyline. It's actually a gorgeous building though!! omg- to funny...

I lived a few miles away from Carolina Place Mall and I believe I was closer to Mathews? Ugh I think that was the name of the next town!

Had we stayed we were going to buy a house on the north side - where at the time they were putting in these gorgeous developments - and the lots actually had some property!
The price of real estate alone down there was amazing compared to where I live now.

If I decide to run away - I am going to come visit you SP!! You can show me around the city because I am sure there have been lots of changes since I left. Oh, I used to love Race Week! We used to have so much fun - the concerts, the street vendors...
the race cars!

I want to move back!!

[center]

[
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Awwwww, Deja! I could take a rock and hit Carolina Place Mall from our neighborhood!! We are in Pineville. You just wouldn't beLIEVe how this place has grown. We moved here in '97 and in just 6 years, there has been such incredible growth. When we first moved here, our neighborhood was nothing but woods with a gigantic "Land For Sale" sign -- it now has 175+ homes and gobs of other neighborhoods all around. Had Ballantyne been developed when you were here? LMAO -- $3million homes right next to the sewage treatment plant!!! There's a humongous golf course right beside it -- you can guess how green the greens are!!

You simply must come down for a visit!! :blob1: I would love to meet you!!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 09:38 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

oh SP!! I know exactly where you mean!! You know what!?? Every night at around sunset I would start to smell what I fondly named *diaper pail* Then I found out how close the sewage treatment plant was!!

My daughter went to elementary school in Pineville!

omg LOL!! They were starting to put in those million dollar homes when I was there!
I remember one development... it was down 51 a bit closer to Mathews - the homes were gorgeous but they were on lots so small, it was like they placed these gorgeous houses on little area rugs - and selling for a million plus! Amazing.

I would LOVE to "go home" to Charlotte for a visit. SP- if I come down there I would love to meet you too!!
I want to see how everything has changed! I want to go to Fresh Market and buy little plastic containers filled with gummy bears, and and... sour patch kids
I want to go to Dillard's! I miss that store!

ok 'nuff crying for now

LOL we managed to turn this thread into "SP and Deja does Charlotte" thread!!

[center]

[

Tags
animal care, humane society, pet store, pet stores