Vegie question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
still waiting for a title

Vegie question

I bought Patrick and Jack their own refridgerator today. And am going to get their vegies together. How long does cut up celery and peppers hold up, if they are cut up?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Leigh Ann, Scott, Patrick, Pumpkin, Gizzy Izzy Wizzy, Brighton, Princess Jill, and Baby Jaqueline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 07:47 PM
Lee0923

Well, mine usually eat them up before they have a chance to get yucky, so I'm not sure if I can't exactly answer your question.

But, I do occasionally pre-cut pepper and it's been fine for the couple of days that it's in there!

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Well, I pre cut the peppers. Do they hold up long?

Leigh Ann, Scott, Patrick, Pumpkin, Gizzy Izzy Wizzy, Brighton, Princess Jill, and Baby Jaqueline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Lee0923

I've never had them more than a couple of days when I pre-cut them, because the pigs enjoy them too much! So beyond that, I don't know.

When I pre-cut them, I do put them in a plastic baggie, which is in a tupperware container with other veggies.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 11:19 PM
Formerly Known as Masterjack

Wow their own refrigerator! What lucky little piggies!

I have had better luck with tearing off what I give them versus cutting it with a knife. That tends to get yucky faster. By tearing it lasts about a week. I give my crew such a variety. At the begining of the week I buy parsley, cilanto, red leaf lettuce,kale, red pepper, green pepper, baby carrots, mustard greens and sometimes romaine. That lasts me a week. I wash everthing and keep the peppers whole and tear off as I give it to them.

Hope that makes sense to you!

I've Been Frosted!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 10:57 AM

Well from having birds and feeding lizards all with cut up or mushed up stuff. I say 3 days tops and then it becomes lethal. When you cut it up the water comes out and causes it to decay faster (thats the best way I can think of to describe it) I have wasted many many vegetables so I recommend cutting up the least amount you will need to start with and see how much they will eat and then go from there.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 12:41 PM
Adolescent Pup

I don't know about cut up celery (mine rarely get it, only if I'm using it in a stew or something), but cut up pepper only lasts for me about 2-3 days max in the fridge. After that it gets gross like Dena said.

Sometimes I wash and tear the lettuces and find they keep well if I dry them really well (in the ol' salad spinner) and put them in the crisper drawer lined with paper towels. That way they last about a week. I have heard that tearing is better than cutting (for keeping things fresh)... although I can't remember why

How lucky Pat & Jack are!

To see more pictures of Molly, Milo, Max & Maddie and their home
click on the picture or visit

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 05:43 AM
Fungus Mungus Rep

Read my reply on this thread: http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showt...threadid=12527
I believe my storage technique will work for cut peppers as well as it does for carrots, I have also used it for cut broccoli tips. I forgot to mention that in the thread above.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2003, 06:55 PM
And here I am again, showing my butt!

I have always cut up my green peppers and put them in a small plastic baggie and place it in the crisper. They will last a whole week that way. (It's important to use a small plastic baggie because with using a larger one, mine always get slimey quickly.)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 02:38 AM
It's all in my head!

My four will eat a bell pepper in one day. I have not yet cut up more than one pepper at a time.

Cavy slave to Mama Christie, Scruffy, Sno pig and Harry.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Okay, what I decided to do with the bell pepper, and it worked, thank you, I torn it up into pieces, gave them half one day, and half the other day, keeping half in a sealed bowl for another day, and it worked out just great. I still have other peppers, and don't plan on cutting them until I need them.

Tags
mustard greens