Vitamin C - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Vitamin C

What's the best way to get my piggies Vitamin C?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sophie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stella
My two loves!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Rodentologist

Fresh vegetables. Guinea pigs should receive a variety of fresh vegetables each day, primarily leafy greens.

http://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

The drops sold in Petco/Petsmart for their water bottle should not be used as Vitamin C is extremely photo and heat sensitive and begins to degrade almost immediately.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Playful Pup

I feed the pigs a mix of romaine lettuce and cilantro (hate the smell) and they constantly have either orchard grass or timothy hay and they also have their pellets and once a week I cute up a very small orange a put one slice per pig in there.

BUT my question is, are the drops even worth it?

I use the drops because I feel like every little bit helps. And I have taken to covering my water bottle with a sock to try and help fight off the light deteriation.

Is it even worth it to buy this stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Rodentologist

Not at all, it's completely useless and some brands even contain extra multivitamins that can cause problems in large quantities. If they're getting fresh veggies every day (at least 1 cup) they're having their vitamin C needs met.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Junior Jouster

I feed Sunny an orange slice about every 1-2 weeks. Be careful feeding citruses too much though, sometimes they can cause mouth ulcers, so you shouldn't feed it every day. BUT! Sunny LOOOOOVES oranges and it seems to be an inexpensive but great way for her to get her daily vitamin C

Just don't feed too often.

Mini Horse: Moose
Mini Donkey: Letty
Potbelly Pig: Bubbles
Nigerian Dwarf Goats: Tidy Whitey, Josie, Elroy
Miniature Schnauzer: Leelo
German Wirehaired Pointer: Cricket
Human: Katie

Last edited by rssgnl27; 11-08-2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: forgot to write something...