Vitamin C Content of foods - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Vitamin C Content of foods

I know piggies need Vitamin C so I thought I'd post this for you cavy owners!!

Content in Milligrams per cup:

Turnip Greens - 260 mg
Mustard Greens - 252 mg
Dandelion Greens - 200 mg
Kale - 192 mg
Brussels Sprouts - 173 mg
Parsley - 140 mg
Collard Greens - 140 mg
Guavas - 125 mg
Broccoli Leaf - 120 mg (none in the stem)
Beet Greens - 100 mg
Cauliflower - 100 mg
Kohlrabi - 100 mg
Strawberries - 100 mg
Honeydew Melon - 90 mg
Broccoli Florets - 87 mg
Spinach - 60 mg
Raspberries - 60 mg
Rutabaga - 52 mg
Orange - 50 mg
Cabbage - 50 mg

(*compiled by Susan A. Brown, DVM - provided to me by my vet, and hand typed for all the wonderful GP lovers at PT! )

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 09:14 AM
Adolescent Pup

Thanks Jade!

It's nice to see that three of my pigs favorites (dandelion greens, kale and parsley) are near the top! It was good of your vet to provide you with this.

To see more pictures of Molly, Milo, Max & Maddie and their home
click on the picture or visit

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 10:45 AM
Erin

thanks Jade

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 11:32 AM
Playful Pup

Good List!

The dandelions should be starting to emerge..... let the grazing begin!!!!

My girls love them!!!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 11:33 AM
Erin

I've gota crisper full of Parsley for this weeks veggie night

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 11:57 AM
Playful Pup

You should take some Parsley Pictures!!!

with the herd of course!.....not just the parsley

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 03:12 PM
Erin

I'll make sure to do that I'll let them at it tomorrow, they had some yummy liquid C tonight. heh

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 07:55 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
I've gota crisper full of Parsley for this weeks veggie night
Erin, isn't every night "veggie night"? Or do you use the liquid C instead some nights?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 08:13 PM
Erin

when veggies started to cost 50-75$ a week, I started doing once a week veggies. They get oxbow tabs or liquid GNC vitamin C oraly the other nights :-)

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 05:16 AM
Adolescent Pup

Yikes! That is a lot of $$ for veggies!!

Sounds like you need a piggy veggie garden when the weather warms up. Last summer I grew parsley, dill, cilantro, basil and some other stuff around the border of the "guinea garden" and the pigs loved it!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 07:02 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

That is nice to have the list posted, I forget sometimes whats best for my pigs.
One time at my supermarket this winter they had huge fresh dandelions greens- I bought a lot of them that week and they never got them in again. I was so bummed.
Parsley at my store comes in tiny bunches and it's so expensive I don't like buying them anymore unless I see bigger bunches.
I noticed Collard greens on the list, did anyone try them and do their pigs like it?

Tags
collard greens, dandelion greens, mustard greens