what is the best way to trim nails? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

what is the best way to trim nails?

I trimmed one of my girls nails not very long ago and kind of had a scary incident with it that made me not really finish the job when I was trim her last two nails she started jerking her foot around and I guess the clippers most have slipped up to far and cut her nail to far since there was blood coming from her nails.
I felt so bad and ashamed that I had possibly hurt her it really scared me just awfully to think I had done that but luckily after calling around to friends that own rodents, and to a veterinary clinic that was nice enough to sit down and give me and advise they told me to put some flour on the nails so it would clog the nails from bleeding any more and eventually it would stop....I felt even worse that day since I had an early evening class that would be going for at least three hours and was of course very concerned for my lil girl so naturally when I came back home I checked in on her right away. Luckily the bleeding had stopped a long time before I had gotten home and it didn't look like she had been fooling with her foot at all

Since then I have tried clipping her other foot and thankfully I was a lot more cautious not to get her all freaked out on me, and made sure to look for the blood veils in her nails. Which honestly no one had told me about before hand Guinea Pigs had.

I just wanted to come on here and ask is there is there any kind of techniques that people use when trimming there Guinea Pigs nails? I really want to try and avoid an incident like my first one for my stress levels and for my two girls as well! Any helpful hints at all! Would be much appreciated and I would love to hear them thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 09:55 PM
RAT ADDICT

I have no advice,because I get other people to clip my girl's nails.I am afraid that I would chop a toe off.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

you can do it just take a bit of pacience and taking your time with things and from what I have noticed it really helps if the animal is calm and relaxed to an extent as well...but I have only tired once so I am not really the best on giving advise either thats why I aksed here to begin with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Adolescent Pup

i've bred guineapigs for 12 long years and have much exprience in fidgity piggies. First, hold them against your stomach or chect with their back against you. Keep them up right so you don't constrict their lungs. NEXT, have another person if any near to take the nail clippers and cut to about a few centimeters before the red in the nails. IF YOUR ALONE. you can do this yourself BUT, if they begin to twitch or fight, let them relax for a moment, and try again.

cutting the red in the nail does happen, but try to avoid it, it hurts them and makes them afraid of the nail cutting days.

Hope i helped a little
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Newborn Pup

It is possible to cut a Guinea Pig's nails by yourself, I've done it many times. You just hold your piggie against your stomach, and trim away! It helps to have a little carrot or lettuce for them to munch on, it helps calm them down and can actually make them look foreward to nail trimming! My boar always comes running when I get out the clippers because he knows food is on the way!

If it's specific techniques you want, try this page, it has a bunch of great photos and diagrams that will show you exactly what to do:

http://www.guinealynx.info/nails.html

I love all my little darlings!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Smokey! Male, 4 yrs.

- Grunge! Female, 2 yrs.

- Chip! Male, 2 yrs.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Part of the Pack

I always have the worst time trimming my guys nails because their nails are black, so I leave them kind of long to be on the safe side.

My zoo:
The rats: London, Remmy, Butterfly, and Arabella
The guinea pigs: Victor, Augustus, and baby Milo
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 12:39 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

For my dog's nails I use stypic powder which is supposed to disinfect too. Ask your vet if it's okay for piggies. This will happen once and a while, try not to beat yourself up. I'm sure the piggies are thankful that you're clipping their nails

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 06:39 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

I get my mam to help with doing it I hold them and she cuts just before you and see the vain in the nail it's easy if they have white nails as you can see it easier but with fudge my chocolate coloured piggy we just take a little of the end but it's not too hard as they aren't fast growing

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

have any you guys seen this new thing on TV that trims the nails by I guess filing them down. I am really interested in looking into possibly getting one it seems like it would work really well on just about any animal....and I hate using the clippers for one they can very easily miss and cut the quick which I already had to deal with once or twice before. And the pressure that you put on the clippers to get it to cut looks like it might be some what pain for as well.

Probably will not be something I get for a while now but still it looks like a great alternative that might make nail clipping times less stress full on all three of us.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

JOKE:

Spread sandpaper all over the floor and have them run around!!

ok seriously: that probably would be a pain but would work, you can put a brick in their cage that they have to walk on, or have someone else hold it as you gently use ANIMAL clippers on, people clippers don't work well as we have a very different shape.

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 06:01 AM
RAT ADDICT

I am not sure the brick idea would work for my GP's.
It works for the rats and mice (when I had mice) - but the piggie's have thicker nails.I can't see it working too well on the piggies.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

but mine always ran around in circles in his cage *shrug*

[/CENTER]

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Actually its kind of odd cuz really I only have to clip one of my girls nails cuz the other one bits hers down with her teeth on her own but Chloe always has to get her nails trimmed every few weeks since her nails start to bend over toward her feet and I don't want to her to be walking in pain.
But I still think I am going to look into getting one of those Pedipaws things for Christmas I think it will be a great tool to use with the animals. lol so far that and getting a harness for my new bunny is on my Christmas wish list for the pets. I think he will love getting to go outside on short trips eating clover.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 10:54 PM
Playful Pup

lol its not hard trimming nails show them whos boss hold them tight not to tight. Talk to them while your clipping there nails and you will be fine if they jerk then just have a fast reaction and pull the nail clipper away. thats all I do not hard at all.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 10:55 PM
Playful Pup

also forgot to add yes they bleed we dont need a drama thign here lol omg they bled feel bad bla bla. Okay they bled move on take care of it and move on it was accident they will live.

Tags
guinea pig