what to do - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

what to do

I have a 1 year old male guinea pig "snoopy" the problem is I think he is lonely and jealous for everyone else in the house has a mate ..except me that is ... should I get him girlfriend or not ...advise please

Remember the three R's: Respect for self; Respect for others;
Responsibility for all your actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 08:46 PM

If you don't want babies I wouldn't get a girlfriend.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

not worried about babies ..whats more babies in this house ..lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 08:51 PM

Does someone have baby fever? ROFL How old is your male? BTW you need to show us pics, WE LOVE PICS!
I don't have piggies anymore, but if you want more babies (and can find them homes if your not gonna keep them) by all means get that man a woman.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

snoopy ...here he is

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 09:14 PM
Constantly Confused

Hello,
I would reccomend another younger male for him. If you get a female, he will need to be seperated from her anyway, causign him to get lonely again while she is close to being due, and her babies are nursing, plus her resting time. It will be easier if you just get him a male, that he can live with all the time. Besides, breeding is very risky
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 09:19 PM

He is adorable.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 09:28 PM
Fertile Myrtle

Quote:
Originally posted by Megan
Besides, breeding is very risky

How so?

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 09:31 PM

I was wandering the same thing. As long as the piggies are fed and taken care of properly, the female big enough what's risky about it?
As for him being lonely cages can be placed side by side so that they can see and smell one another.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I think she is refering to the females that are having that bone fusing problem with their hips >>>i know about that problem and would make sure I got a young enough female for him

post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 11:38 PM
Erin

stillborns, toxemia, breeched birth.... the list goes on... guinea pigs tend not to have easy births.... although some go through them textbook style there can be many many many difficulties...

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-23-2002, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

guinea pigs would not be my 1st animal birthing process I do have many animals and I know the risks .. so every animal you take a chance on that these things could happen

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-23-2002, 06:34 AM
Constantly Confused

erin basically said what i was referring to. Whenever you put a male and female together, you have a lot that can happen- male can attack the female, feamle attack the male. Breed backs, toxmonia, babies too big to pass, still borns, mother dieing leaving you to hand feed, mother not taking care of the babies, mother and babies both dieing , and the list goes on and on. I also strongly believe that only the best pigs should be bred(animals from good breeders) because with hand offs , rescues or petstore animals you dont know what is in its genes. It's father or grandmother could have died from maluccssion(sp??) and this is passed on, if you dont know it's in the lines, then your breeding animals who are subtile to this.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-23-2002, 11:29 AM
Erin

Megan, are you at CG? If not, you should go over there with me and stand ground against leisure breeding. Some people just don't understand the risks of losing their pets.

I bought my guinea pig from a petshop before I knew of piggie rescues, and lo and behold she was pregnant, I was worried sick for a month! I love baby pigs, but NEVER want to go through that again.

Tags
guinea pig