Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

What makes them allergic?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  candyraver 
#1 ·
What is the problem with some people being allergic to G. Piggies? My daughter and grandson are both allergic to them. I just don't see any dander from their hair etc.? I think the little piggies are so darn cute but they can't keep them in the house.

#2 ·
#4 ·
Hay and urine seem to be the two big allergen causers with guinea pigs. But, you mentioned that you can't see any dander, dander is microscopic. :) So even if you don't see any floating around, it's still there.

#7 ·
I was thinking it could be the hay too. I believe that the hay is what gets me. When I clean out the bunny boxes my nose always runs. And when I held the piggies for cuddle time my nose would run. Luckily it does not get worse than nose running for me. It worth a little snot for all the love they give.

#8 ·
Kathydip...i have the same problem when i clean out the enclosure and when i handle the hay. It used to be worse when i first had the piggies but now i think my system has gotten used to it..or tolerates it better now. I sneeze a bit but dont get the runny nose so much.
Yes, :yes: i agree..it is almost nothing compared to the love that the piggies give. :heart:

#9 · (Edited)
I used to always think I was allergic to a lot of small animals because everytime I used to walk into pet stores when I was younger i'd get really sick (asthma& a really horrible immune system!) but it was the shavings& products they used,not the animals theirselves. Majority of my pets are in my room,I have no problem @ all ..but let me go into a pet store with cedar or pine in the cages& i'll walk out& literally vomit on the doorstep ...pine& cedar MiXED with urine don't agree with my immune system :question: too much info? :lol:It's airbourne& kills me I swear.I can only imagine how those pet store animals feel having to put up with it.

Hay? :scared: I can feel the hives creep up on me now with certain types!!

But it's not always the animals they are allergic to (yes in some cases,i'm not ruling out pet allergies altogether ;)) but yeah it could be the hay or bedding.I know aspen kills me too since it's so dusty!
I use super shavin's& well my rats are littertrained so the only "bedding" they have in yesterdays news for their litterbox& the rest is all fleece bedding :)

Pine& Cedar (neither should be used anyway with any small animal)& aspen (good for animals,not for me :lol:) I can't be around if it's in cages for any long amount of time :no2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.