Where Did You Get Your Guinea Pig? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Still Waiting

Where Did You Get Your Guinea Pig?

I was just wondering where you got your guinea pig(s)? Are they well tempered or... what, and would you consider going back to the place that you got them from to get another? Thank you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rest in peace my sweet babies; Sweetie and Butterz.
You will forever be missed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Playful Pup

I bought my guy at a petshop. He was very very scared at first, hes mellowing out slowly. If I could go back, I would have looked around before I bought from a petshop. Not saying all GPs that come from PS's are bad, but both the ones I have bought haven't been as friendly as I thought they would be.

Mommy of:
Ollie: Rescued orange kitty.
Noah: 10ish year old gray kitty.
Sadie: 8ish year old Jack Russell.
Vito: 2ish year old Guinea
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Rodentologist

My first two came from a pet store. (Pet"Smart"). One had bordetella, and I spent $400 treating it to keep him alive. Petsmart denied all wrongdoing. So no, I'd never go back there. Or any other pet store, now that I know more about small animal mills and the HUGE guinea pig overpopulation problem.

My 2nd pair came from the local rescue I volunteer with. They've both had a couple of health problems, and the rescue has been very good with helping me through it, offering to keep them after surgery, etc. I'd definitely adopt from our rescue again. The rescue has answered all of my questions, help me get booked in at the vet's, given me all kinds of help and support, even with the pigs that I didn't adopt from them.

My third pair came from a kill shelter in the western part of the state. I adopted them because they were spayed females. A third female that the person pulled from the shelter (also "spayed") had problems with ovarian cysts... which she shouldn't have had, because she was spayed. I'd probably not adopt from that shelter again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Part of the Pack

I got my guinea pig because my dad was working on a ladys car and she asked him if he wanted a guinea pig. It was a great deal because I got him, plus the cage and supplies for free. Later my sister gave me my neice's guinea pig, which turned out to be a female. Two months later I had three babies that were all male. I had to give the mom and two babies away, since I had one cage with 4 males and the female all by herself, and to save money on bedding and food.

My zoo:
The rats: London, Remmy, Butterfly, and Arabella
The guinea pigs: Victor, Augustus, and baby Milo
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Seeker of Orbs

as a baby, we got hagrid from one of those mall stores. He was adorible, but in a TINY cage with 2 big pigs. Sadly thinking back it was probly parent pigs or siblings. i felt bad... All is good now.
i WIL NEVER go back there. EVER. it had hamster "batches" in the back and i have a sneeky suspision that hagrids cage and cagemated came from a drop off.

horrible.

Hagrid was REALLY scared...... he is better now but likes things on HIS terms. lol

Pheonix we got from the Knoxville Guinea pig rescue. GREAT place, great people.

am thinking of getting more from her as time and space permits.

pheonix was REALLY outgoing and squeaky and vocal, but NIPPED! and,oooo was he fast!
he's mellowed out and now loves to set an dliiick you and it's so sweet.

~beth

thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 02:08 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

All my pigs came from my local shelters. I wouldn't buy from a petstore knowing all the reprecussions that come along with it. Not only for the most likely sick pet you get, but for the poor pets that take its place.

If you don't agree with puppy mills and kitten mills, remember that its the same for all the pets that you buy at petstores. They are all from breeder mills. Birds, small animals, reptiles, etc.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 09:38 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My first piggy was from a petshop and he was the sweetest piggy you could wish to meet, my second piggy was from a breeder and again he was a lovely natured piggy. My last two were rescues, the youngest always was a bit skittish but his father was (and still is) very laid back and affectionate

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Tags
guinea pig, guinea pig rescue, local shelter, pet store, puppy mill, puppy mills