Wooden hidey houses - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
still waiting for a title

Wooden hidey houses

Erin, I know you have one of these.

Just a few questions, did you buy it and you had to assemble it? I bought them today, and I know I have to assemble it, but I was surprised with the splinters and the awful pine smell. I am returning them both.

Are there different hidey houses that are better?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Leigh Ann, Scott, Patrick, Pumpkin, Gizzy Izzy Wizzy, Brighton, Princess Jill, and Baby Jaqueline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 06:54 PM
Erin

I bought one at petsmart that had to be assembled and hadthe sharp edges and splinters, I sanded it down some. The boys use that one.

The timber hide-a-ways are better, smoothe too. I gave the medium sized one to the gerbils, the large one is in my basement out of use at themoment. I don't use any houses for most of my pigs. The boys have a house on their upper decks, right now fudge and Ollie have the wooden house and a cuddl-e cup, Sparky and Rover have a stool and a log cabin that came with chloe and Lila from their former adopter.

I've got 3 large fiddle sticks, about 5 children's step stools, and 6 pigloos in addition to the timber hide-a-way that are stored in the basment for the time being.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Erin! I am definetly returning them because the one I opened had the glue that they use to make it plywood, and Scott said that the glue was toxic ! And the smell of the pine was so bad that I started to get sick.

Leigh Ann, Scott, Patrick, Pumpkin, Gizzy Izzy Wizzy, Brighton, Princess Jill, and Baby Jaqueline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 08:35 PM
Erin

look the ferret store and order the boys a large sized fiddle sticks. My pigs love them and they are easy to trap those 'runners' when you want to snuggle them.

Use this link and help out paw-talk - Ferretstore.com

Do a search for "fiddle sticks" and it should come up, make sure if you do buy one or two that you get the large size. Looks like they've gone down a few cents in price, they used to be $9.99

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 08:38 PM
Erin

Here is Fudge and Sparky(when Fudge was a good boy and liked his brother sparky) using their FS during playtime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fsfiddle.jpg (36.3 KB, 26 views)

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

They have them already. Jack loves his.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

They were returned!!! Does the log cabin have an odor?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 08:31 PM
Erin

I dont know how long she's had it for Chloe and Lila before they came back to me, so I don't know if it did or not.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 12:15 AM
It's all in my head!

When Harry came he had a wooden house that took up half of the small cage he was in. His cage was in serious need of a clean. When I took the wooden house out the bottom inch or so was in bad need of a clean.

I still have the wooden house. Does anyone think that if I got an inch or so cut off the bottom that it would have a smell acceptable enough to use again?

You see Harry had been kept on cedar. And there was like a three inch layer of soggy, stinky cedar that the house was resting on.

Cavy slave to Mama Christie, Scruffy, Sno pig and Harry.