WOW...thats all I can say! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

WOW...thats all I can say!

Well I always heard that guinea pigs were little poop monsters,but I didn't really understand..till now!

I always thought the rats pooped alot,but Apolla poops 10 times more! And hers seems to smell more too!

Anyway I wondered if it is possible to litter train piggies (I think it is,if I remember correctly from some of the threads here)...and how do I go about doing it?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yep, guinea pigs tend to go everywhere and anywhere! Lotz of it too! Thats makes it hard to train them to do it all the time where you want them to do it. It is usually easier to train them while they are still really young. It is not impossible to do. Some piggies train well and some do not....you know..like men! It will definatly take lotz of time and patience.
In there cage they will usually have a favorite corner where they like to pee (that is probably what smells, not the poop) but as for the poops they will do that everywhere! You can buy a litter pan, the type they sell for ferrets and rabbits and try with that in Apollas fav corner and see how she does. But dont be surprised if you catch her popcorning it it! Reward her with a healthy treat each time you see her using her piggie poop box.

Here was a good suggestion
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f14/l...ain-38505.html

Lve Never Fails

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Oily Chickenspew

haha...i'm just laughing...i have no advise

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks Monique! I have a couple of litter pans,but Apolla likes to use them as beds! She sleeps in them and rests in them and just hangs out in them and goes in the opposite corner!

Haha.I will check out the link.
If I cannot get her litter trained,there are no worries...it would just be nice!

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 03:13 PM
is a little "special"

You want to get a litter box that is too small for her to rest in. If I give my piggies or rabbits large litter boxes, they like to sleep in them- Yuck!!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

My rats always slept in the boxes when I tried to litter train them. They never got the hang of it.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The prob is that if the litter pan is too small they probably will not use it at all or if they try to they will tip it over.
And if its too big they will sleep and play in it.....lol!
So if a good sized one is put in their fav corner hopefully they will end up peeing in there more often keeping the rest of the bedding in the cage clean. Lol...or at least we can only hope! Ah, I love piggies!

Lve Never Fails

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I will try...but like I said,if it don't work...then thats okay! I will just deal with it.

I love piggies too! I finally have one after all these yrs! The only thing that drives me nuts is when she squeals first thing in the morning for her morning veggies! I am not a morning person and it goes thru me! But otherwise it is cute and me and Apolla have conversations all the time!

* Lisa *

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Sounds like she has got you trained pretty well!
They sure love their morning veggies, dont they!?
Harriette just loves her big salad of romaine, tomatoes, carrots and a sprig of broccoli in the morning!
Mid morning snack is an orange or apple slice.
In the afternoon she gets cilantro and dandelion mix.
As you can see I am well trained too!

Lve Never Fails

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Haha...oh yeah,she definatly has me trained!
She eats alot better then me!

Sounds like your piggies have an awesome day of food! Haha.Speaking of dandelions,obviously I cannot get any now...but when that time of yr comes,can I pick some from outside and give Apolla?

Oh and Apolla don't seem to like tomatoes! Thats just a random thought,after reading yours get them in the morning.

* Lisa *

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 11:11 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You can give Apolla dandelions from outsided if you are certain nothing harmful was used on the surrounding grass. No pesticides, animal urine, doggy doo doo (any animal poop etc).
You can also buy dandelions at some specialty stores, health food stores. Here I can buy them at Trader Joes and other health food stores.

As far as tomatoes go just keep offering her a slice with the veggies you give her. She might decided that she likes them one of these days. Finicky piggies! Tomatoes are very good for them, just keep offering it to her.

Lve Never Fails

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnature View Post
You can give Apolla dandelions from outsided if you are certain nothing harmful was used on the surrounding grass. No pesticides, animal urine, doggy doo doo (any animal poop etc).
You can also buy dandelions at some specialty stores, health food stores. Here I can buy them at Trader Joes and other health food stores.

As far as tomatoes go just keep offering her a slice with the veggies you give her. She might decided that she likes them one of these days. Finicky piggies! Tomatoes are very good for them, just keep offering it to her.
Okay.Once the summer comes around I will see about picking some.In the meantime I will see if any speciality stores here have them.We don't have a Trder Joes,but we do have a few other health food stores.

Okay I will try with the tomatoes still.She didn't like green pepper at first or oranges either,but now she does! So she could change her mind on the tomatoes as well!

Oh and BTW...I caught Apolla sleeping!!! Hehehe.Today was the FIRST time since having her that I caught her asleep.Remember my thread about her not sleeping??? Hehe,just thought I would share that!

Thanks for the help Luv,you have been super helpful!!

* Lisa *

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 07:58 PM
can't think of one, help

Dandelions were my piggy's favorite, Bunny loves them too. I could hear Littlepiggy demanding them all the way out in the yard. Just make sure nothing has been sprayed on them and rinse them. I always had an abundance of them during the summer mths. Also, I never picked any that were close to the street as I couldn't be sure about street dirt etc.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thank you.

* Lisa *

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 04:37 AM
Adolescent Pup

In the summer we have millions of dandelions in our garden, you can come pick them if you want, but you'll have to fight my mom for them cuz she boils them with Jiggs dinner on sundays LOL

I have had Piggys in the past they all loved dandelions, just dont give them the flower or the bud, cuz its so bitter !!!!!!!

Yeah so we get lots, when the summer comes ill hook you up, I'm sure your rats would like them too, and your little escape artist JJ hahaha

Korali

Last edited by Korali; 12-08-2007 at 04:40 AM.

Tags
guinea pig, health food store, litter box, litter boxes, litter pan, litter train, litter trained