90% Sure Raisin Is Pregnant!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

90% Sure Raisin Is Pregnant!!

Some of you may or may not know. But I have two hairless rats. A handsome male named Beaker and a beautiful blue female named Raisin. Around me hairless rats are very hard to find. Female hairless even more so. I have read and been told that female hairless rats make horrible mothers. They may not lactate, the may eat all the babies, or just the female babies, and sometimes they just want nothing to do with them. I am prepared for that though. I have several places I can get a pregnant and nursing haired female from to take over if Raisin has trouble.

Anyways. I have been waiting for what seems like forever for her to be old enough and big enough. She was old enough for a while but not big enough. Then she was old enough and big enough, but she would not take to Beaker. Well, it finally happened. I mated them on the first of August. Yesterday I saw the first signs, besides her belly growing some and her nesting. Her nipples popped out! I am 90% sure that she is pregnant. She is eating even more like a piggie, nesting in the rat igloo; Madeline and Sidney (Maddy’s last baby girl of her first litter) do not really bother her. She plays some, but mostly stays in the igloo. I have been watching her carefully and I really can not express how delighted I am.

I want to keep all the female babies because they are so rare. I already have a whole waiting list of people who want hairless rats. So they will all have homes, and if they do not, I am ready to home them until they can be adopted.

So my whole point of this thread is to ask some advice. I am a vet student, I have read more than I can put into words about rats, and I have had other rat litters. This however, is my first hairless litter. Madeline and Raisin grew up together. I got Raisin when she was tiny from a horrible pet store before they could put her in with the male hairless. I watched her grow up and I am very attached, so like all my rats, she is more than a rat who produced babies. She is my beloved pet. As excited as I am, I am worried too.

I have to go away for the weekend and will not be back until late Sunday night. There is no way I can not go, I need to take care of some school business that I have been putting off for a while. My parents are watching all my rats so things should be fine. I believe she will have her babies when I am gone. I am unsure of what I should do. My boyfriend said to bring her with us, but that is dumb. The hour car ride, the moving to a new cage, no familiar scents, it would increase her chances of a miscarriage or cause her to eat her babies. So, what I am wondering is. Her and Madeline are cage mates, they get along wonderfully. Madeline has already had a litter so she can help Raisin. But, I am wondering if I should leave Sidney in there. She gets along fine too and cleans Raisin all the time. However, she may get jealous and hurt the babies, if I take her out during the labor, Madeline or Raisin may get upset and hurt the litter. There are so many ifs, maybes, buts, etc. I do not want to put Raisin by herself, and I do not want to upset their little world by moving someone out. But I want her and her babies to have the best shot. My parents will watch them and let me know everything that is happening. So I could coach them over the phone. I could always come home if something arose as well. But I can not not go.

So, knowing all the facts, and knowing that female rats often help each other with the litter and that they are a happy little community that have lived together almost all their lives. What would you do if they were your rats? I know what to do medically and by the books/facts, but not what to do in my own mind. I need to be able to go away without worrying and feeling sick the whole time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 11:56 PM
RAT ADDICT

Well...first things first,I am kind of disgusted that you deliberatly bred a pet store rat,especially knowing all the problems hairless mothers have.Pet stores rats are often full of issues and even if they appear healthy for awhile,you never know how sick they may become later on.I would never breed pet store rats.It is one thing to buy one already pregnant and to deliberatly breed a pet store rat,which are all overbred and often inbred.You have NO clue what their genes are like...

That being said,I would keep a surrogate mother in the cage.If the hairless neglects the young or isn't producing enough milk,then remove her and just keep the babies with the surrogate.I also wouldn't add any other rats to the cage,aside from a surrogate and/or the mother.

When I had rat litters,I kept the mothers alone and they did perfect.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

That's fine that you feel that way. However you are wrong and I take offense to it. You do not know her whole background, nor did you bother to ask. I do not even think I mentioned that she was a pet store rat. Which by definition, she is not. I checked through a lot of my posts and found nothing about it. So, if I didn't say it, you assumed, which is not right. I have never breed pet store rats, as I said, I do not consider her one. I have adopted and had them pregnant, but never intentionally bought them pregnant. At the moment, I only have two pet store rats and they are years over the breeding age, and I would have never of breed them anyways. Maybe I should have included her background before, but you still should have said it in private. It is like you're insulting me and my reputation. I will tell her background now.

I was in the pet store literally every other day. The female rat she came from was from an employee's rat that she had got from a breeder in RI, too far for me to drive too. She got her while she was out that way. She looked her up online. So, she was a pet, not a continuous breeder, it was her first litter. She said the breeder was good and did not abuse the rats as most do. The father (also her pet) was from a local breeder who only has males, and then ran out hairless when her female was too old to breed. She couldn’t find another female who actually had a background so she stopped. She did not continuous breed the rats, I know because I saw her set up when I was looking for a female hairless. My male rat came from another breeder who had a nice set up as well but is no longer available because she moved. So I watched the litter grow up. There were two girls (As she said. I wasn’t allowed to check for myself.) and five boys. I had to leave for a week to fill out paper work at college and take make up tests; when I came back there was a lone girl in a cage, all by herself, not with her hairless brothers. The girl was not there to confirm it was she, but she was the right age/size/color and her brothers were in another cage. If she was theirs (the pet stores), she would have been in with her brothers and allowed to start breeding right away. I scooped her up and later confirmed it was her.

As I said above. I hardly consider her a pet store rat. She was breed at the woman’s home and taken in the pet store because if she let them sell some of the babies they would pay for the rats foods, vitamins, etc.

So I know her background, and yes it could be lies. But breeders can lie as well. I believe her that they were her pets because they had a nice cage that she brought them in (the ones in the pet store are kept in 10 gallon tanks with any where from one to ten rats in them), she kept them behind a curtain in the rodent section so they were not on display like all the others, they had names, they were friendly and not scared like all the other rats in the pet store, and I she had pictures of them at her house on her phone.

I do feel that you owe me an apology for insulting my integrity like that. I am more responsible than that. I understand where you are coming from, but my feelings are hurt that you would think that of me. I have known you for a while and have talked to you before. I am not some idiot who buys rats from anywhere and lets them breed. My litters are planned and from rats who I know the background of. My rats do not breed unless I have a waiting list for their babies. And in case that falls through, I am ready and able to keep the babies until they have found homes. Like right now, I have one girl left from Maddy’s litter. The two boys that were left are being adopted this Saturday.

I would have posted this in a private message but I felt I had to defend myself in public as you made the remark in public.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:18 AM
RAT ADDICT

I am not looking to cause argument.But this is MY opinion and I am open to it.I don't think a rat that came from a pet store should be bred...PERIOD.Maybe she did come from a "breeder"...but still,you don't know her whole genes/family tree...unless the "breeder" provided you with that info.

I am not going to apologize for an opinion that differs from you...but I was also not attacking you.I was stating my opinion.I bred rats before,so I am not against the breeding (as long as it is done responsibly...and I had a mentor,so I had help.PLUS every rat I bred was healthy,or almost...because I knew their genes and if I did have one pop up with an illness,it was never bred)...but anyway,I no longer breed.I am not against the breeding,as long as it is done responsible and in all honesty,I don't think breeding a pet store rat is responsible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APoetCalledAnya View Post

I got Raisin when she was tiny from a horrible pet store before they could put her in with the male hairless. I watched her grow up and I am very attached, so like all my rats, she is more than a rat who produced babies. She is my beloved pet. As excited as I am, I am worried too.

Right there...you mentioned she came from a horrible pet store.

But...the deed is done,so just make sure she has everything she needs and like I said,have a surrogate mother ready.

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I am not asking you to apologize for your opinion. I was asking you to apologize for attacking me in the forum (which is what you did), and hurting my feelings. I would never be so rude as to insult someone in the forum. You can state your opinion without saying, “I am kind of disgusted that you deliberatly bred a pet store rat”. That is saying you are disgusted with me. I thought forums were about helping, not criticizing and making people feel bad.

You saying, “Maybe she did come from a "breeder"...”, is like calling me a liar. Her parents came from breeders who had family trees, who did not breed sick rats. (I called the woman in RI, she sent me pictures and told me about her rat. And like I said, I met the woman who she adopted the father from.) She came from a girl who wanted more hairless pet rats and could not find any more. Just because she was born in a pet store does not mean she has pet store rat genes. The parents are back home with the girl, not living in the pet store. She has not bred them since.

The pet store was only the building she came from. And it was horrible. As I explained, she did not come from the pet store, but was merely housed there. So, I worded it wrong in my first post. I still know her mother’s owner. And her mother and father are healthy and wonderful. So if you choose to think she is a pet store rat that came from bad genes and conditions, that is fine. But it is not the truth and I would like it if you kept it to yourself. You said what you felt you had to say, now just stop. If you continue, you are spreading rumors and slandering me. (The pet store was bad because they knew nothing about rats; Her owner and her parents’ cage and living conditions were great. Her owner was there every day checking on them. Even on her days off. (I am sure if she was not there every day they would have put her in with her brothers.) So her family was kept in great conditions with great food. Her owner actually turned the store around some because she took care of the rats.)

I do not know what it is like near you, but rat breeders around here do not give paper work or a vivid history unless you ask. A lot of times, they only keep track if the rats get sick and then no longer breed them. Not everyone has around here has extensive family trees. Most only tell you if there are any illnesses in the family lines. Which there were none in hers, her family, or Beaker and his family.

I already said I had all that ready. My question was whether or not I should remove her two cage mates. Which you did not answer. You said you kept your moms alone, that does not answer if I should take her cage mates out. You only said things about a surrogate mother. And what you said was not the best of advice. If I introduced her to a new rat now, things could take a turn for the worse. I would have to keep the surrogate mother separate and give her Raisin’s babies if Raisin can not care for them. You saying, “the deed is done”, makes it sound like some evil and vile act. Not something wonderful, like it truly is. Thank you so much for being happy for me. I am not some child experimenting. I choose my breeding rats very carefully and make sure they are healthy and have everything they need.

So all in all, you only upset me, insulted my rats, my breeding techniques, my integrity, and did not help me at all. You should focus on helping, not hindering.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 11:50 AM
RAT ADDICT

EDIT: taking it to the PM's.

* Lisa *

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

In my opinion i would say it would probably be best to have a surrogate on stand by just incase raisin cant handle the babies but i would also take her cagemates out just incase they do get jealous or distract her from being a mum to her babies! I hope all goes well with the little ratlets! xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!

Tags
baby rats, hairless, pregnant