Accidental litter! Please help! - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Vladina,
Yes it was quite a scare, but luckily she is still acting fine, even today.

We found out the price for a exam for one vet, $49, possibly about $100 all together with medication for just one rat. I need to look into one other vet before I try to figure out what to do. If it truely costs this much Ill only have enough saved up to take two babies right now...

Two of them are having sneezing fits, but nothing else. Reading another's post I wonder if it might be the bedding thats causing it. We're using CareFresh Natural, this brown paperish bedding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
And yes, the albino rat does ride on my calico cat's back.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Males:
Snoogens
Ratatouii
Komakazi
Females:
Missy Boo

Zoia

Kisa

Last edited by calico; 02-09-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 07:09 PM
laugh often

You can try to bring in the worst off to a vet. If they have an ri then most likely the vet will give meds to the rest. And when you get more money take the rest. In my opinion carefresh smelled quicker and it was pretty dusty. If you change bedding then do it gradually. Like 25%-75% then 50_50 and so on uintuil they are weaned to the new bedding.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you Mousey!
Yeah, I just spoke with another vet, this one seemed better to me, attitude wise. He suggested exactly that(Which luckily is what I had planned) He told me he knew about rats but referred me to his partner who knew more than he did. I do plan on taking them all in at one point, though for now it'll have to be the two worst ones and then the others as I get the money.
I saw someone suggest using fleece/felt as a bedding instead? How should I do that? We're going to try litter training them into a litter pan in some corner of the cage. Do we still try the weaning stuff or should we just go straight to the fleece? A friend of mine also suggested putting a towel underneath the fleece to help absorb the pee.

Males:
Snoogens
Ratatouii
Komakazi
Females:
Missy Boo

Zoia

Kisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hi Calico,
Yes, I actually used to do the same thing as your friend. I would buy lots of towels for cheap from the local thrift stores, and fold them up into long rectangles to fit the length and width of the bottom of my boys' cage, then layer the top of that with some fleece or flannel blankies (from the fabric store). No dust with fabric, which I like. The carefresh can be too dusty, as I have seen other people on the forum say as well.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 12:43 AM
laugh often

Straight to fleece should be fine. If the cage is larger or multi level put a litter pan in every corner. Towels will help until they are completely litter trained. Also palce the box where you see them do their business most often.I wish you luck on the vet visit. If they are sneezing alot you may want to try to seperate them from the rest. If you have the cages and room for it. another room would best.
Most ratteries and mouseries (quarentine any new rodents for 14 days to a month to help avoid any illnesses being transferred. Just an idea if you get any more. But in this case it may still help.

1 Cat- Luna
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I will definitely go out and get the towels and fleece asap then! Ill be finding out later today when I can take my babies(hopefully tomorrow) I would separate them, but I dont know whos sneezing from illness and whos just sneezing from their bedding! We dont plan on buying anymore rats, we're at our limit, but Ill definitely remember the quarantine idea!

Males:
Snoogens
Ratatouii
Komakazi
Females:
Missy Boo

Zoia

Kisa
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 01:03 AM
laugh often

I just now remembered and put it in another post that some poelpe have used hard surfaces as well as fleece. The hard surfaces are easier to clean up. I never did this though. Some use chlorplast-spelling- and other materials

1 Cat- Luna
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Well, we took two of our babies to the vet on Friday. I'd have posted earlier but I was feeling ill. We actually brought three but they only looked at two. The hospital was VERY nice, they only made us pay the exam fee for one rat(as a technician said, they are so small all three could go under one exam fee) They really worked with us about cost. The exam was $55, I think $5 more than the other vet I talked to, but with the service we received, we'll be going there again when we save up the money to take them all in for a check-up. Almost every tech in the place had to come to our room to see the babies. From the lady who spoke to me to all who heard about them. we even got two pictures of our babies!

The diagnosis was mycoplasmosis sadly. We know that they will always have this and of course are ready to pay for their medicine's as needed(ill overcome my needle fear if we need money fast, there's a plasma center down the road). They gave us Baytril as well as Pet Tinic with doxycycline in it. What we were told about these is one is the actual medication that we give them once a day(via oral injection) as well as a vitamin, again oral injection. Luckily when doing this alone(which is HARD, I found out this morning) most of the 5 will lap it up once they get a taste of the vitamin.

Also they are all sounding better today. The worst one(Ratatouii) is no longer congested, as we found out was the odd noise he made when agitated. We are no longer hearing as much sneezing either. They will be taking their medicine for a week.

Males:
Snoogens
Ratatouii
Komakazi
Females:
Missy Boo

Zoia

Kisa
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 04:01 AM
laugh often

I am sorry that they need meds but I am happy you got such great service and they worked with you to help meet the needs of not noly you two but the ratties too. Vets like that are def. a keeper.

1 Cat- Luna
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

You are such a good mom to your babies! I read your post to my husband and he was so impressed. He said, "she is ready to donate plasma for her babies, that is so awesome.". I am sorry about the myco. I know all too well about it and I hate that it happens so often to rats.

I hope your babies do well with the meds though! Keep us posted!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you Vladina. They've been donig prety good, Ratatouii and snoogens have been scratching us up since they're the biggest and dont want to take it at first. Pretty much its now they only fight the meds and take the vitamins easily, except Ratatouii who fights everything. Afterwards ill give them a shelled peanut and they LOVE that!

BTW, i think i'm finally at 20 posts, so Ill be able to post pictures of our babies soon!

Males:
Snoogens
Ratatouii
Komakazi
Females:
Missy Boo

Zoia

Kisa
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Missy Boo loves our hair!
Koma and Missy Boo(They dont share a cage)
Zoia and Missy Boo on my fiance's shoulder
Ratatouii guarding the girls
Snoogens helping his daddy on the computer
And last but not least...
Missy Boo in my 'rat nest'

Males:
Snoogens
Ratatouii
Komakazi
Females:
Missy Boo

Zoia

Kisa
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Gorgeous photos! Your kids are beautiful! And tell your fiance I can tell the babies just love him...they looked so snuggly on his neck and shoulder. So sweet! Can't wait to show the pics to my husband, he will love them. He misses being a Rat Daddy so much since our two boys passed away.

BTW, have you tried masking their meds in yummy stuff to see if they will eat it? I ended up injecting the liquid meds for my boys into little pieces of soft bread and soaking the bread in stuff like pina colada flavored syrup, or gerber baby food, things they liked, and it usually worked great. They would gobble it up so fast they did not have time to notice that the "special" ingredient in the bread was yucky medicine. My small animal vet gave me that advice.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 11:35 PM
laugh often

great pics makes me miss little rat feet going through my hair vlads advise on meds worked great for me too!

1 Cat- Luna

Tags
hoppers, pregnant, rats