ACK! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

ACK!

i just walked in on the scariest scene i could imagine! i went to tell the rats goodnight and make sure they had what they needed and there was a pup on TOP OF THE CAGE! with 3 more up on the top ledge by mom who had, i guess, lead an escape attempt! i gasped and the baby on top dove back in through the wider bars and they all ran back down to the bottom. we did a head count on the babies to make sure none had gotten away and they were all there luckily.

we moved them all into the spare cage for now until i figure out a way to close the gap so they can't get out on their own. *sigh* i wish rats weren't so **** smart. all this time i thought the pups couldn't get up there and were safe and here they are, putting their lives in jeopardy! i'm just glad i found them before going to bed otherwise it would have been a massacre in the morning due to my wonderful cats who enjoy cat things like.. chasing small rodents and killing said small rodents. i must say though that in all my rat-owning experiences i only lost one pup to my cats because she got out when i was at work. i had her sister (who was found hiding underneath the couch in the next room) for a long time though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

EEP! You have cats eh! Yikes, I can see why you want to make sure your babies and mama rat don't get out. That would not be a pretty picture if your cats got a hold of them.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

oh yeah, i'm normally really careful to make sure the bars are close enough together on any cage i own so they can't squeeze out because of the cats. on the cage they were getting out of the top of the wire part has a big gap so the clip things can latch. i just figured that they couldn't get up there because the bottom of the ramp was on top of the hide which is a large plastic igloo. i guess mom showed them how to jump up there or something. they're all good now though and they all like their new cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 12:52 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

That's great! Rats who enjoy their home is a good thing.
When I was researching rats via my rat books, before we adopted our two boys, I read about what escape artists they are and how they can get out of any cage, etc. but my two boys have never once shown any interest in getting out of their house when we are not around. They have a cage that is officially big enough for 4 adult rats so they have lots of space and sleep areas, toys, etc. I am glad to hear your ratties are enjoying their home!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Boys are generally a bit lazier with their rescue attempts whereas girls will stop at nothing...the monkeys!

Mesh that cage until the babies are big enough

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack