Adivce for Patty, the lumpy ratty - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Adivce for Patty, the lumpy ratty

Hi all,

I posted here a long while back when Patty first sufferred with a tumour. We got it removed and she recovered very well from her op. Then 6 months after that, she got another one, on the opposite side. We decided to get that one removed too, and again she recovered very well.

A couple of weeks ago, I found another 2. Quite small at the time. I took her to the vets again and they advised that we don't put her through another op, which I have to say I agree with. She will be 3 years old in January, and having already undergone 2 previous ops, the vet didn't think she'd respond well to another op, especially as 2 tumours would need to be removed.

These lumps are now very very big and starting to make it difficult for her to walk. She has also lost an incredible amount of weight. I feel so sad when I pick her up and she is all skin and bones. I took her back to the vet last week. He said he is confident she is in no pain as she is still quite bright and hasn't lost her appetite and that the weight loss is due to effect the tumours are having internally.

I just feel sort of cruel, seeing her like this, even if she's not in pain. I was just wondering, if it were you, what would you do? I guess my choices are to have her put to sleep now, to wait and watch to see if it noticibly starts affecting her quality of life (not moving around much, not eating etc) and then have her put to sleep, or wait for nature to take its course.

The thought of having her put to sleep upsets me greatly, but so does seeing her with these massive tumours and so skinny She has a cage mate, Selma, they are from the same litter so have been together their entire lives. I'm also worried about how Selma will react to living alone when Patty's day comes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Newborn Pup

Wow, when it has been up to me, my only deciding factor in whether it's time for a pet to be PTS or not, is the quality-of-life.

Whether she is still active and enjoying every day. Whether she is still eating and drinking enough to thrive, as well.

When I have seen my rats' tumors affecting them, and they slow down or stop eating, and/or are constantly dehydrated, I start to seriously consider that it's that time.

But, I would never wait for nature to take its' course if my baby is suffering, or uncomfortable in any way that it takes from her quality of life.

Very sad to think of her poor sister having to be alone, they're so incredibly social it might make her seriously depressed - Another cage mate might be a serious consideration. I have seen the depression that rats can have over loss of family, and that as well takes away from quality of life.... So, lots to think about. Only you know what is best for your babies. =/
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I guess I'm just a bit worried that we won't recognise the decline in her quality of life. Or that the decline will be so quick from the start of decline to her dying. I'm also worried that we can't be entirely sure she's not in pain I suppose. She looks like she must be in pain, so I guess I'm just not convinced she's not in pain and I hate to think of her being in pain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Plympet, I am so sorry about this and this is such a hard decision to make. I know how difficult it is to try to decide what to do. Wow, what a dilemma. As Calico said, it is always best to consider their quality of life, but this is a hard decision because she is still eating, drinking and seems fine, but at the same time, I wish rats could talk so she could tell you if she is in pain or not. Very hard dilemma and I do not envy your situation. Hmmm. The vet assured you that he does not think she is in pain? I also know how hard it would be for her sister if she is gone. Wow, I wish I had a magic answer for you. Calico may be right. Maybe you just need to go with your instincts and decide what you think is the right thing to do. Such a hard decision.
Getting her sister a new playmate will be very important if you do decide to put her to sleep of course, but yes, you probably just need to look into your heart and your gut feeling to make a decision. Maybe watch her over the next few days and see what you think about her quality of life? Keep us posted on this.
My thoughts are with you.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.

Tags
rat, tumour