Adopted 5 small field mice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Adopted 5 small field mice

Please help me caring for my 5 small field mice. Their mom was poisoned at a friend's house and he brought them to me. They survived 2 days now and I think I will be able to pull them through! I need to know when can I feed them solids. Their eyes are open and they have teeny weeny teeth but still suckle on the seringe when I feed them milk, which is a very very slowly process and I feed every one twice because they scream for their milk. They are full covered with hair but is very unstable on their feet so I have no idea how old they are. If anyone has any experience with baby mice, please let me know. I would like to set them free once they are eating by themselves.

Raisin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 01:23 PM
RAT ADDICT

You can start giving them bread soaked in milk or kitten replacement milk.It sounds like they may be 3-4 weeks,but I am not sure without pics.They will probably start eating solids soon.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 04:50 AM

I am definately no expert, but I have just been looking after 5 babies who were just under 3 weeks when cat got the mum, I syringed kitten milk (like these guys told me too ) After about 3 days of doing this I just sorta out of curiosity put some mouse mix from the pet store (seeds and nuts etc) in the cage - and they just started eating it, I also found that they were hard to handle and just putting in a bottle or small dish of milk aswell as water was fine and they are doing great - so If you wanted to you could try just putting food in with them and see if they eat it - I guess if they dont you'll have to keep handfeeding.

But like I said this was my first experience with baby mice but it all worked out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 12:22 AM
laugh often

whewn you wean it needs to be slow. Some mice have problems if they are not weaned on to one food to another slowly It's good to give them a milkbone brand milk bone a day for extra protein unti they are weaned. this would a gereat time to put a water bottle in the cage, it's not a good idea to use a water bowl as the mice can drown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Hello

Thanks for all the advice, unfortuanetly all 5 mice died in the last 5 days and it was very very sad. I tried everything and fed them on the hour, but they just stopped drinking. I even tried glucose powder mixed with milk to give them a little boost but no luck. I think they might have gotten some poison from drinking from the mum before she died, they just got weaker and weaker by the day.
RIP little ones ;-(

Tags
baby mice, pet store, water bowl