Advice for medicating rats? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Question Advice for medicating rats?

Well, we went to the vet this morning and it is a good thing, because he said they have a very mild respiratory infection. He said it was good that I brought them in, because we've caught it at a very early stage, so it should be completely treatable. Now the only problem is that I have to figure out a way to get Baytril into each of them twice daily for the next ten days! Any advice on how to do this, preferably without having to hold them down and shove the syringe in their mouths?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Rodentologist

I use strawberry Ensure or a flavored baby food.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

My vet usually gives it to me mixed with a sweet syrup, it's called a "suspension" when they mix it like that. You can mix it at home with something they like to eat. You have to make sure that they eat ALL of it. Baby food tends to work really well, mine love the meat ones and also sweet potato. Do not mix it with yogurt!. The probiotics in dairy, especially yogurt, can conflict with the antibiotics in the meds.

Edit: PS. even though the meds are only prescribed for 10 days, that may not be long enough to truly knock out an infection. I would recommend giving meds for at least 2 weeks, preferably 3. Good luck.

Maureen

Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Ok, thanks for these tips. My vet did give me a baytril suspension, and I believe he said it was flavored, so do you think they might just eat it plain?

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Some will eat it plain, some won't. It also depends on the flavor of the suspension. It's much easier for me when they take it right out of the syringe. Just give it a try, they might take a little bit to figure out how it works and whether they like eating it.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

oooh breyer! I'm so glad you took them!
The only times I've had to give baytril to an animal, it was a shot to actually do in the skin.
I'm glad if I have to treat louna it's not that, I hate shots!
Tell us how it all goes I hope your boys won't give you too much trouble!
I'm sure babyfood would work wonders for a difficult ratty!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks so much everybody! Dustette--I am really glad I took them in! It's not anything serious, but it's always nice to catch something way before it turns bad.

The good news is that I just gave them their first dose of medicine on my own, and not only did they both willingly take it, they each actually tried to pry the syringe out of my hand to get some more!!! Let's hope this continues!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Lola had to have an antibiotic for 3 weeks twice daily. The medication was flavored like strawberry and I had to hold her and squirt the medicine in her mouth. At first I held her upside down and she always wiggled out of it and it was uncomfortable for her, but then I just held her normal and she took it pretty easily.

Good Luck giving them the meds.!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Tags
baytril, medication, respiratory illness