Advice for my baby ratty - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Advice for my baby ratty

A few days ago I acquired an orphaned rat kitten, he's approximately two weeks old tomorrow.
I've been feeding him about a cc of kitten (cat) formula every 3 1/2 to 4 hours and he seems to be doing fine.
He likes to sleep in my jacket pocket during the day so I can check on him, and when he's awake (his eyes have begun to open) I take him out and let him wander a little bit and explore.
At night he sleep in a cozy little box with a fluffy ferret toy that he "nurses on" and I keep a heating pad under it on low.
Now, for my question. Am I doing everything right? I love him lots and want to keep him, but I'm worried about the formula. I read that I should use baby formula, but I have no way to get ahold of some. Is the higher fat content going to make him unhealthy?
He hasn't gotten bloated and has had normal functions, but still I'm concerned.
Also, when should I give him solids and what kind is best?
I've been following all instructions as properly as I can!
Thank you so much! (:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Official Loofah Tester

I don't have any advice firsthand, but here are some sites that have advice:

http://www.evergreenrattery.com/care...d_rearing.html
http://www.ratfanclub.org/orphans.html
http://www.rmca.org/Articles/orphans.htm

You may have already gone through all of these, if so, sorry for the repetition.

Also, one of our other members just this week had tried to hand rear a baby much younger than the one you're taking care of. Though her baby didn't' make it, there was some advice given from a member who'd had previous experience:

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f16/runt-55940.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 06:57 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

KMR is by far the best formula to use - the other brands contain BHT, which attacks the forestomach in rodents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I have done very persistant research and have come across two sites. But they still remain unclear about a few things. I'll check out the third right now!
Thanks so much for your effort, I've contacted that person from the thread and I think my questions will be answered very shortly.

Once again, thank you!

Oh and, I think KMR is the brand I'm using, thanks (:

Last edited by muffinmix101; 01-30-2010 at 07:10 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

It should have a white kitten on the front,

Otherwise, when I was nursing a baby mouse, when he started nibbling on my fingers, that was a sign he was ready to start being weaned onto solid foods. So I took a small piece of bread, soaked it in the formula, and for a while he just sucked the formula out of it, then after a couple days he started eating the bread. After about a week of the bread, I took some carrots, finely chopped it up into a mush into the juices leaked out, and tried him on some carrot. Then I tried him on finely chopped apple.

Make sure the heating pad doesn't make up the entirety of the floor. You should probably part it, 50/50. In case he gets too warm.

If he isn't acting sluggish, I wouldn't worry about it. It's normal for babies to sleep a lot. One of the signs you're doing something right is he'll be more curious to explore, instead of eat. During this stage isn't of feeding right away, I let the baby mouse scurry around on my hand until he worked up a hunger.

Whatever formula you use, make sure it doesn't have BHT/BHA, or ethoxyquin. But KMR has been the only one i've been able to find that doesn't contain any of that.

It sounds like you're doing good, though!

Tags
advice, baby, kit, orphaned, rat