Advice Please :) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Question Advice Please :)

Hi

I got my son 2 new mice from the pet store (we dont have snakes in New Zealand so they werent feeder mice)

They were apparantly both girls, but Im pretty sure one of the girls has a pair of those things girl mice should definately not have (its a long haired mouse so maybe they couldnt get a clear view!)

Anyway - the other mouse now has that golf ball look about it, and has made a nest and everything. This is De ja vu.

What do I need to do about the boy mouse when the babies are born? does he need to be taken out before then or can he stay?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 07:02 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

If mice are anything like rats, the female goes into post-partum estrus, and can be mated again within 12-24 hours of birth. I would remove him.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

When she gets closer remove the male before she gives birth if you can. As soon as the female has had all of her babies she can become pregnant again immediately. The male will become mean after you take him away, sort of protective over his woman. If your mouse trusts you you can probably peek at the babies within a few days. You can hold them at about a week. Beware...They are spring loaded and will jump right out of your hands if you aren't careful. If you want them to become nice and tame then hold them each for about 15 minutes everyday. Hope this helps!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Thankyou so much for your help - Il have to get another cage and move him asap- they will be so upset with me as you can tell they are in love

They arent very tame so should I just tell my son to leave the mother and new babies alone? She seems quite nervous all the time.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Part of the Pack

If the mom is 'golf ball' shaped, get him out asap. She could get bigger or she could have a small litter. She could go any time.

Give the mother shredded toilet paper pieces so she can make a nice big fluffy nest. That's a good indication of her getting close, too - she'll begin to amass a large nest.

Take something like a cottage cheese or sour cream container and cut a hole in the side, leaving a lip. She will feel much safer if she's able to curl up in some secluded little area with her babies. I usually make the top of the container the bottom, and leave the lid on so they don't tip it over.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan

Tags
pregnant