Afraid of my rat biting me again - HELP! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Afraid of my rat biting me again - HELP!

Hello everybody!

Having ratties and rattlets is CERTAINLY NEVER DULL!!!

I have a 4 month old rat who recently bit me. I don't know who was scared more? I need some advice on how to work through this and keep my rat at the same time. Here is the background story to get you up to speed...

I had a 2-month-old rat who gave birth to 7 babies. When I got Faith (the mother) I also got her a cagemate that was in the same tank with her at the petstore. Hope seems to be a bit older maybe 4 months old? Anyway, Hope was always more skittish and tended to nip or squeal when frightened or picked up and struggled to get away.

Also I only had both rats for 2 weeks total when Faith had her babies so I was JUST starting to socialize both my rats!

When Faith had her unexpected litter I moved Hope to a tank for 3 weeks. Always making sure to let Faith visit Hope to play and interact with each other since they are so close and both seemed depressed away from each other. I think Hope might be Faith's mom.

So when I finally put Hope back in the cage with Faith and the babies she was FANTASTIC with them. Faith was happier, Hope was happier, I was happier and the babies had a new play pal.

The first day Hope was put in the cage I was feeding Hope a pea when it rolled way, I went to move it closer to her when Hope tore across the cage and bit me. It scared the crap out of me but the bite wasn't too severe. However, I did become scared of Hope and tried to avoid her as much as possible. Still giving her attention from a distance.

After a week I got a serious Strep infection from the bite and developed a dangerous case of lymphangitis which almost turned into blood poisoning. So after spending time in the hospital and still recovering I am now REALLY scared of Hope!

I can't even get her to come out of the cage to clean it! I won't pick her up and I have to wait for her to go to another level to get a watter bottle or a food dish. Unfortunately I had to clean the cage around Hope and the noise and shaking only made her more frightened of me and in general.

Does anyone have some suggestions on how both of us can work this out? I really don't want to get rid of Hope since Faith is so attached to her and I think she could be a good rat with time, but right now all my attention is on raising the babies.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks!

L.

Here's my rattie brood: http://youtube.com/user/etrnluv
They just celebrated their 1 month birthday today!!! YAY

Last edited by new_rat_mommy; 07-02-2008 at 01:42 AM. Reason: added link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 04:33 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

How do you get a strep infection from a rat bite? Unfortunately, the more scared you are of your rat, she'll sense it and the more scared she'll be of you. I don't think she meant to bite you. She probably just got a little overexcited in the presence of treats.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 04:50 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yeah that, plus there's babies right? she could have gotten defensive. there's no need to get rid of hope. to do so would be giving up on her. just be patient, she won't bite forever. fancy rats are not 'wild'. you'll just have to clean the cage around her for a while. just sit at the cage and talk to them, let them all crawl out on you, when they do, give treats. repeat until hope eventually comes out, then give her a treat. also, you can take old clothes you'd throw out, and give them to the rats instead. having something of your scent in their home will help with bonding. i do it with all my pets, even mice, and it helps a lot. they just seem to recognize you more

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchris_28 View Post
How do you get a strep infection from a rat bite?
Rat-bite fever can be caused by two types of bacteria, one of which is Streptobacillosis. They other is Spirillosis. You can get it from a bite or scratch, or (this is gross) by ingesting contaminated urine or mucous. It can be transmitted from rats or from other animals like gerbils, squirrels, or even weasels.

It's less common in domestic animals and can be treated with antibiotics. As a result, it is thought that rats who have taken antibiotics are unlikely to carry the bacteria.

Symptoms include, fever, chills, headache, muscle ache, rash, arthritis, and swelling at the bite site.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Wow....I never knew that. I guess I've been really lucky, what with all the rat urine I've been drinking. (Sorry couldn't resist) Come to think of it, I did get really sick right after a rat bite I got about three years ago. Luckily I didn't go into the hospital though.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

if you really fear her you could wear leather gloves at first until you feel confident that she wont bite.

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

You should figure out WHY she bit you. Your best bet was probably the pea and the treats and your finger just got in the way. Rats hardly bite for no reason. Males tend to bite more but sometimes they can get overloaded on testosterone and it just makes them aggressive. Females can become protective over babies even if they're not theirs.
Please don't give up on her. If she wasn't that tame to begin with she could have gotten scared, or she was just protecting babies and it drove her nuts that you were reaching into the cage! If you really truly are afraid of her then wear gloves when you pick her up. After you're done picking her up give her a treat. Also when you do pick her up ALWAYS support the body. It's easier if you use two hands, just put one hand under the butt and put one hand on top.

*Missy*