african soft fur rats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

african soft fur rats

Does anyone know anything about african soft fur rats...I just recently bought one and its very mean and bites hard...ive been bitten twice now...will it calm down and let people hold it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I am a major fan of rats as you can see from my signature lol but i have never heard of african soft fur rats and i have no idea if it will tame up hun sorry! I hope it does tho! xxx

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Hello Earthling

From what I've heard about African Soft Fur rate is they are not really cuddly pets and are more of a look at type of pet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I found this website it says here that males are normally biters even if unprovoked

http://www.rcreptiles.com/blog/index...oft_furred_rat

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Herp Nerd

I looked into them earlier this year as a potential new project, and spoke to a couple of breeders - and they pretty much said the same thing. They're not as far out of the wild as more common rodents, so tend to be easily panicked and more nervous. There are some that are calmer than others, but for the most part, they're not at all like a typical pet rat or mouse. I decided against getting them for that reason - I wanted something would make a friendly pet.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

they are nothing like my mice...not very friendly at all and it bites really hard
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Part of the Pack

They're not really pets, IMO... A lot of snake owners raise them because they're good for finicky snakes. Otherwise, they're an aggressive hands off critter.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 05:50 AM
RAT ADDICT

I looked into these guys after a local pet store started selling them.I found out that they are definatly not like your typical rats and mice (as mentioned).They are harder to tame and do tend to bite.That is why I decided not to get one after.

There are a few threads around on them,just type in African soft fur rats up in the search part of this forum and you should come across them.I think there is a member here who breeds them,maybe she has some advice on taming your little guy.Otherwise he is probably more of a watch pet,which you will have to accept,unless you rehome him.

How long have you had him?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 07:04 AM

I breed them, though we call them Multi-mammate mice.
If you get a weaned baby (about 3 weeks old) and handle it on a regular basis they can become just as playful and loving as any rat! theres videos on youtube to prove this!
However miss those vital first few weeks even days of handling and it can cause immediate problems, they aren't nervous animals at all, and i've found that even though none of my breeding adults get handled unless neccessary they still tolorate strokes and some even seem to enjoy it!, they are very social towards other animals and enjoy mutual grooming.
I have personally never been bitten by one that broken the skin, my boyfriend handles them sometimes when cleaning out and hes never been bitten, the babies nip when nervous but never anything serious.
Two young multi's that we homed once (seperate homes along with 4-5 others) did bite once, but haven't since according to the owners.

They aren't sit and cuddle pets no, they don't like to be smooched and tickled like rats do, but they do enjoy company and as strange as it sounds they like to be thrown about, not literally thrown but dropped or gently thrown onto a soft surface, some multi's really take to it and come running for more and more, theres a vid on youtube i'll try and find to show what i mean, but it shows the playful side of them that most people don't see!

Last edited by Velvet_Meece; 03-23-2009 at 07:08 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 07:20 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG2P8DjOdpQ

this link says it all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ORv4UvQgB0

The idea is that you let them come to you, do not touch them against their will, you can put your hand in and let them climb on you. if they are too agressive to put your hand in yet, try using a soft paint brush to stroke them with, they should enjoy this, and also give treats from your hand, very much how you'd tame any other rodent really. If its female theres also a higher chance of agression, males are more laid back.
and always make sure theres enough food for them if you have more than one. one of my colonies is currently male-less, because i didn't feed them for one night when i didn't feel well, and they killed and ate most of him, i also get babies killing and eating eachother if not enough food is provided, just as a word of warning, but most are fine if given something at least once a day.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 06:43 PM

I have two African Soft Fur Rats, i just got them a couple days ago. I find the male is really mean - he is constantly biting things and he has bitten me a couple times, but my female is really nice, she is a little skittish but it seems like she is starting to calm down already. Maybe yours will too, but i dont know about the biting...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 09:05 AM

My Softies

Hi, I have 5 breeding pairs of the Soft fur african rats and I just love these little guys. All of mine are friendly and curious. I feel bad that the natals are getting such bad reviews. None of mine are nervous or aggressive, they enjoy coming out of the cage for one on one time. The pups take their cue from their parents and as soon as their eyes are open they come over to the side of the cage to get food treats.

The people who have nervous ones, have you tryed food rewards? I have sold lots of these sweeties and have always had good feed back from the new owners.

Like all small furry pets, they need to be touched or handled daily, you get out of your pet what you put into it. My cages are in the computer room so the softies see myself and the rest of my family all the time, we all give them treats and when they see us they come over to get feed and talked to. They get very excited when evening arrives because I have been feeding them moths and june bugs every night, this is an extra special treat, they are going to miss it when the weather turns cold again.