The aftermath of a fight?? Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

The aftermath of a fight?? Help!

Last week I had purchased 2 new males, and tried many ways to introduce them to each other. Unfortunately they just wouldn't allow it, and I had to seperate them. There was quite a bit of fighting, and one [Isaac] ended up with quite a few bites on his lower back. The other one [Thorne] wasn't in that bad of shape, although he did have a bit of spots on him as well. Not nearly as much.
So on Saturday they were seperated for good. On Sunday I bought them each a girlfriend. There was a bit of scuffling around, but it was the usual and I've seen it many times before. After the initial getting to know each other, they were all content with their new partners.

Isaac's back got a bit worse each day, scabbing over.... Yesterday I looked him over, and he isn't using his back legs as much as he should be. He can still move them, but he's dragging them. Also, [Just to get into all the great details, lol] his penis is ... sticking out more.

Thorne's back is more scabbed, but he's still able to function fine, it doesn't seem to bother him.

So I took them to the pet store where I got them all, and had someone look them over. She said it looked like it was from the fighting, and gave me some tetracyclen to put in their water...

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this coming from fighting, and if their mice were able to heal alright? This hasn't happened to any other mice I've ever had, so I'm pretty confused!

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Male mice can fight to the death. They can't live together. The store should have told you that, however it is not their responsibility for you to research your pets.

They don't need girlfriends, you will have babies, and then what are you going to do with them all? Mice can reproduce at an alarming rate. Every 18-21 days you could end up with 10-12 sometimes more babies. EACH.

and once the babies get old enough they will mate too.

Separate your females, get another cage for them and expect some babies soon. the females can live together so you will only need 3 cages and i believe they will help each other raise the babies. Do some research.

Take your males to the vet they probably have really serious injuries.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
Male mice can fight to the death. They can't live together. The store should have told you that, however it is not their responsibility for you to research your pets.

They don't need girlfriends, you will have babies, and then what are you going to do with them all? Mice can reproduce at an alarming rate. Every 18-21 days you could end up with 10-12 sometimes more babies. EACH.

and once the babies get old enough they will mate too.

Separate your females, get another cage for them and expect some babies soon. the females can live together so you will only need 3 cages and i believe they will help each other raise the babies. Do some research.

Take your males to the vet they probably have really serious injuries.
I have been breeding mice for 7 years. I have had MANY male mice live together just fine, and all it takes is properly introducing them. I have decided THESE males cannot live together, and have already seperated them.
I am not taking the females out, because these are for BREEDING.

I came here only to look for anyone with a similar experience, as I have NEVER come across two males that fought like this.

I'm not sure if it's that you get off on being rude to strangers, or that you've had to put up with a lot of inexperienced people coming to this forum, but I assure you I do not need your snide comments. Maybe it's the fact that I used the word "girlfriends" and that didn't go smoothly with you, but I was simply trying to be a little humourous. I am fully aware that mice do not DATE, and therefore do not need girlfriends.
Seriously.

Thanks for all your wonderful kind help though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Hey trlauder,
You did not mention in your first post that you were a breeder so to be honest i dont think kendalle knew this. When i first read this post my response would of been the same as kendalle's. We did not know your background and i thought you were just another "Owner" who did not do the research. Please do not start bashing kendalle as she was just trying to give you some advice.

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I had no idea that you were a breeder, And i am surprised to hear that you are and kept male mice together because i think it is quite common for them to fight like that.

And yes, a lot of times people come to the forum with no idea what is going on and think that they do date and need girlfriends.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
I had no idea that you were a breeder, And i am surprised to hear that you are and kept male mice together because i think it is quite common for them to fight like that.

And yes, a lot of times people come to the forum with no idea what is going on and think that they do date and need girlfriends.
Honestly, I'm pretty surprised that you're pretty shocked that I keep males together! I do admit most of the males kept together have obviously been raised together, either father and son or brothers, but I have definately succesfully introduced many males who were not together originally, and everything worked out fine. NOTHING like what has happened here, or else I wouldn't have even joined this forum to find out if anyone else has encountered it. [Not saying there is anything wrong with the forum, I'll stick around, I've just never seen it before. lol]

Now as for me replying to you the first time, at first I was just hurt [a little e-hurt..lol] that you were putting me down about it.
I'm a very active member on a different forum [It's a parenting forum, not exactly the same but close! ] and I definately know the type of people that come on thinking really weird things, it gets old, you want to reach out and slap them.
So.... I bet it happens here a lot, and I'm sorry for not explaining myself better.

LASTLY, as for the mice....

They are doing awesome! Thorne, who is the one that wasn't as badly injured, is doing much better, his wounds are healing nicely. Isaac, the one with the injury with the back legs, is still dragging them a bit, but when I pick him up he can now grip my fingers with his back feet, and moves them more. I think the majority of it was immobility from swelling, and not a more serious spine injury.

Again -- sorry for being rude initially...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairebee1 View Post
Hey trlauder,
You did not mention in your first post that you were a breeder so to be honest i dont think kendalle knew this. When i first read this post my response would of been the same as kendalle's. We did not know your background and i thought you were just another "Owner" who did not do the research. Please do not start bashing kendalle as she was just trying to give you some advice.
Well, I've already replied to Kendalle, but again, I'm sorry for being mean in my first reply. I was just all hurt about it... Hey, I'm pregnant and I have a toddler, can't my emotions be a little wacky?!

But thanks for replying and kind of explaining the situation a bit more... I'd get pretty annoyed with people coming on and wanting to do stupid things with their pets...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Part of the Pack

I've only EVER had success housing males together when they're raised together, either introduced young or raised in a litter with their father. Alternately, I have had minimal success introducing two or more males into a totally neutral area - as long as they were young. Usually the younger weaker male is inferior to the older male to begin with and is therefore not a threat - but especially if females around, a day will come when hormones overtake good sense.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriceCritters View Post
I've only EVER had success housing males together when they're raised together, either introduced young or raised in a litter with their father. Alternately, I have had minimal success introducing two or more males into a totally neutral area - as long as they were young. Usually the younger weaker male is inferior to the older male to begin with and is therefore not a threat - but especially if females around, a day will come when hormones overtake good sense.
Well, in my situation the females were not around yet, so that wasn't an issue.
I think it was that the males were too old to be introduced to each other, and the petstore I got them from generally [from what I've noticed] doesn't look after their mice too well.... Meaning, a couple tanks full of mice, males and females all mixed in. :S
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Playful Pup

Hi I have mice and currently have 5 accidental litters due to our vets not neutering our male mouse properly. Male mice can only live together if both are neutured and proper introductions are done or are litters mates thats the only time they can live together.

Proper introductions on neutral grounds have to be done first because putting one in anothers territory they are bound to fight.

I know you are a breeder and unfortunatly like us all some animals just don't get on no matter how many introductions we do it just doesn't happen.

Good luck with the babies.

6 Ratties Kamarlie, Luka, Kato, Kenzo, Jay & Kai
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahh View Post
Hi I have mice and currently have 5 accidental litters due to our vets not neutering our male mouse properly. Male mice can only live together if both are neutured and proper introductions are done or are litters mates thats the only time they can live together.

Proper introductions on neutral grounds have to be done first because putting one in anothers territory they are bound to fight.

I know you are a breeder and unfortunatly like us all some animals just don't get on no matter how many introductions we do it just doesn't happen.

Good luck with the babies.
Alright, thanks.. And holy ****, how did you end up with FIVE accidental litters!?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 03:35 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It sounds like they put a "neutered" male in with a group of females and he was still a little rowdy.

What do you breed the mice for? reptile food or pets? are you concerned at all about health problems coming from pet store mice that were cared for improperly?

[/CENTER]

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

I breed them mainly for pets. I am concerned about any health problems that could come from pet store mice, I usually have only fancy mice that DIDN'T come from pet stores, however I took a tiny 'breeding break' over the past year, when I had my son. So my other fancy mice are older now, and I don't want to breed them anymore.

Tags
fighting, infected, mice