Aggressive female mouse - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Aggressive female mouse

Hey guys/girls,

Myself and my girlfriend have owned a male and female mouse for about 10weeks now. Emery, a beige and white, rather docile male mouse who loves to spend around 2 hours a day on us. Jupiter, a brown, very quick mouse who loves to run on the wheel all day.

When we first put them together the male was constantly trying to hump the female. The female wasn't fond of this and would always run away while squealing. In the time we have had her, she hasn't fallen pregnant, yet. Now the tides have turned and last weekend I went in one morning to find that the male mouse had sores all down his tail . As soon as I opened the door he ran out in a flash into my hand, and from then on has refused to go back in the cage with her. We have kept him in a temperary cage by himself since with the odd experiment putthing him back in. As soon as he goes in he freezes and tries to run out straight away. One time we closed the door and kept an eye on them. The female came upto him and sniffed his bum and then flicked her tail like crazy and chased him and bit him (she is ALOT quicker then him). Since then we have kept them seperate.

Now the question is. Why would she be all of a sudden so aggressive to him? Could she be pregnant and acting a little territorial? Will it pass over a short time or will she be like this for the rest of her life?

Hopefully you can help me.

Thanks,
Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 12:02 PM
RAT ADDICT

Hmmm...first off,why are you trying to breed???

Second the female could either be pregnant and very territorial or maybe she is just a territorial female or she is fed up with the male constantly trying to mount her.

Your best bet is to keep them seperate.
Maybe get another female to introduce to your female.
Female mice are highly social with eachother,males are usually the territorial ones.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
Hmmm...first off,why are you trying to breed???

Second the female could either be pregnant and very territorial or maybe she is just a territorial female or she is fed up with the male constantly trying to mount her.

Your best bet is to keep them seperate.
Maybe get another female to introduce to your female.
Female mice are highly social with eachother,males are usually the territorial ones.
First off, we're not 'trying' to breed. We got them from a pet shop originally but the shop assistant was of no help and couldn't tell us whether they were female or male (as they were very young). We desided we'd just give it a go an picked 2 mice. They turned out to be 2 males who constantly fight. So we swapped one of the males with a friend (who breeds) female. Alot of stores around my area take mice any time so if they breed, it doesn't pose to be a problem.

Thank you though. We are in the progress of building up another cage so we can seperate them and possibly get some more mice to keep them company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 11:00 PM
RAT ADDICT

Okay.

But you should definatly seperate the male before the girly gives birth,otherwise he will breed to her again...which is stressful on a mother to have back to back litters.A mouse can breed 12-24 hours again after giving birth.

The female will most likely accept other females.
It might take abit of time,as she sounds like a more territorial female.However just to let you know,you may have BIG problems trying to introduce a new male mouse to your current male.Males are HIGHLY territorial and often fight to the death.It is extremely hard to keep males together,unless they are littermates and even then it can be hard and unsuccessful.Male mice do quite fine on their own,as long they have alot of things to do in their cage and get a good amount of attention from their owners.

Good luck though!
Post some pictures if you can! We LOVE them here!

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Thank you again! We've been keeping an eye on the female mouse and cant find any nipples. She is looking a little bigger in the hips though and she is certainly running ALOT slower on the wheel. Any other tips to know if she's pregnant?

I went out and bought a new wheel for the male mouse in his cage and he seems quite happy, he has already arranged the furniture to his likings. We get him out quite alot, he will never be short of attention.

Here is a picture of Emery (the male mouse). I am yet to get a non blured picture of Jupiter as she is so quick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Emery.jpg (41.5 KB, 7 views)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 10:29 AM
RAT ADDICT

Your welcome!

Emery is REALLY cute! I love his color.
His name is cute too.I am glad he likes his new wheel too!

Pregnant mice will take on a pear shape.They normally don't get too fat until the last days before they give birth.Here are pictures of a pregnant mouse.

http://mousie.8m.com/images.html
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/1/793...7b3839.jpg?v=0

Oh I forgot to add earlier.
Make sure she gets extra protien,you can offer her abit now,but it is more important when she is nurssing for her to have extra protien and nutrients...like a little bit of egg,cheese,chicken or even dog kibble.

* Lisa *

Tags
agressive female mouse