Aggressive Rat! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Aggressive Rat!

Hey there,

Just wondering if there is a way to correct an aggressive rat behavior? One of our rats is constantly pinning down the other rats forcing them to be cleaned and I am always hear squeaking from the cage! Any way to fix this? What's going on?

Much thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't loose hope! Our furry friends are here!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 12:48 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

sounds like she is the pack leader, i hope that someone on here can help you on here.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Yeah she very much acts like it but I don't want her to be aggressive forever! Especially since one of them has cancer and is rather weak. She is rather aggressive with people too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Part of the Pack

i don't know what to tell you, i don't really see any way to stop it except to separate them, but i'm a new owner and still learning myself? have you found any information online?

i've found descriptions of this behavior but only just descriptions of this as being dominant alpha behavior. is she biting at all? how long has she been doing it? usually it ends after a few days...

this is the best i could find at the moment http://ratguide.com/care/behavior/introducing_rats.php can you keep us posted?

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

is she hurting them or is she just pinning them down ? Cuz if shes just pinning them down and not biting them . she could be just showing shes the boss

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Official Loofah Tester

Yeah, the more experienced folks have always stated the following slogan: No blood, no foul.

Meaning, do not meddle in the affairs of ratties, for you are crunchy and taste good with catchup. (Or is that 'dragons'?)

Kidding. But seriously yeah, if they aren't drawing blood, then let them work out rank and file on their own as your interference will only muddy the waters and possibly make things worse. It's a different matter if someone's getting war wounds, then it's more than establishing pecking order and has gone into the realm of rivals. That's when you'd want to step in and decide if re-doing intros/separating into different colonies is the path you want.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Wow! lol I wasn't expecting a lot of people to respond. She is biting a little I guess when they step out of line but I read somewhere that that is normal. It's lasted for the month they have been together in the cage. I think she may be like that because originally it was her and her sister and her sister is rather weak due to a mammary tumor she has on her chest and she was easily the boss now that 2 perfectly healthy rats are involved i think she may have seen them as a threat. Thank you for the link and advice. I'll let them play it out I guess?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Adolescent Pup

Doesn't sound like aggressive behavior, just normal dominant behavior. She is telling the other rats she is the boss. If she nips them only when they get out of line, she is just telling them to knock it off, and re-establishing herself as the hierarchy leader. The squeaking is their way of saying "Ok! I'm sorry, I give up!" This behavior may continue longer, or it may stop. There will probably be re-occurrences now and again too. I would just let them work it out. If she is getting too rough and verging on drawing blood (you would know this by screams, not just squeaks, and/or fur flying) then you might need to step, but otherwise just let them be.

Another thought - how much play time out of the cage do they get? Sometimes if rats don't get enough exercise, they can get a little more cranky with each other. Like dogs, a tired well-exercised rat, is a happy rat. So perhaps try letting them out for more exercise. That will give them extra space and stimulation, and something else to focus their energy on instead of each other.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

OKay, sounds good then! I'm just worried that the others are getting too stressed.

We do take them out but we don't have anywhere they can really run. They just stay on our shoulder and on our coffee table. We can't really let them run down because we live in a small apartment i'm afraid if they get on the floor they'll be gone! lol

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Phoenix View Post
OKay, sounds good then! I'm just worried that the others are getting too stressed.

We do take them out but we don't have anywhere they can really run. They just stay on our shoulder and on our coffee table. We can't really let them run down because we live in a small apartment i'm afraid if they get on the floor they'll be gone! lol

you know you could always get them a play area, like a fenced in area with toys where they can run around on the floor, like this; http://www.afrma.org/pp_playpen.htm or http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/685978727/

they also sell some that look like this; http://www.ratchatter.com/tag/pet-rat-playpen/

here are some instructions on how to build a play area for your kids; http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Safe-...-Your-Pet-Rats

but if they need to run you should definitely let them run...

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!