Alabama Ghost Boys After 2 Years - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

Alabama Ghost Boys After 2 Years

I haven't updated in a rat's age on my six boys, and Vladina poked a (sweet) little stick under my ribs to remind me.

The hairless duo Melon and Skinner are doing great. The neuter this summer and the intervening time to work through any lingering cage disputes has worked wonders on my two little buttheads. They're at the bottom of the cage hierarchy, and at last seem content with their place. They are a little gay married couple who are never seen far apart. Melon is the established home maker. I have to keep scraps of nesting materials in the cage at all times to cater to his inner interior designer. He goes through more toilet paper rolls than the rest of my family combined (For the record, Scott tissue (tm) really does last the longest and is rat approved. I may write the company about his endorsement). Skinner is still my little bra diver, and is second only to my smeezy Zmei in licky schmoozyness.

Zmei, my poor baby, has ongoing and constant respiratory issues. He lives on AB's and we still can't quite get him to where I want him to be. He's going to break two little boys' collective heart if/when this myco finally wins. In the meantime, he's still my happy little smiling Buddha rat and perfect ratty love posterboy. We love him so much.

Tucker and Jeffrey the original creepy black Alabama Ghost Boys had their two year old birthday on the 26th. We didn't do a big party, but they got several new toys and I gave them part of a Pillsbury cinnamon bun to share. They were beside themselves and spent more time licking frosting off of each other than actually eating the bun.

They've both lost a little muscle with age, and considering that both were 99 percent mutant muscle rats, looking like 'normal' sized rats is funny to see. Tucker has unfortunately developed a second small tumor. This one is on his back hip. It hasn't grown in 5 weeks, and doesn't bother him. I'm not willing to risk a surgery on him at this age, so we will just watch it.

Jeffrey's Indiana Jones days are over. He enjoys just sitting and surveying the world he spent his youth conquering. His little brother and shadow Black Pete will listen to his tales of misspent youth by the hour.

Black Pete has actually become a force to be reckoned with in the cage. I think back to his earliest days of being my ickle tiny black smudgy boy who could barely hold a huge lab block between his kid glove paws. And how he would submit gracefully (with precious pathetic peeps) to the bigger boys as the pinned and power groomed him.

Now, he's as big as my lost boy shy Windham was. The difference is, thanks to Jeffrey's tutelage, he's a much more confidant manrat. He's worked his way through the entire cage, and is now the official Godfather. This last month he took the Marlon Brando position from the now retired Tucker, and is weilding his power with a little more kingly command than Tucker did. Tucker led and inspired just by being that awesome. Pete leads by intimidating the crap out of everyone with his kingly aura. It's like King Arthur vs. King Richard.

I've never worked a lot with Black Pete, because he has never been much of a people rat. I've respected his preferences because I just have too much to do, but lately I've been able to work more with him. He's been getting an hour a day of one on one people time beyond the other boys, and hopefully we'll see if he'll start enjoying hanging out with us. He's my healthiest rat by far, and I'd like to use him for rat education programs now that my other boys have gotten too old or fragile to help me out.

I got the coolest gift this Christmas. A friend of mine is an electrical engineering student. He's constantly having to come up with widgets for class. So, one day I asked him if he could be able to make me a rat detector. I'd looked into bat detectors and decided I wasn't going to spend that kind of money. I forgot about my request, but when Christmas rolled around, guess what I got??

So now I can hear my boys' ultrasonic chatter! And yes, rats do giggle when you tickle them.

Sorry no pics, I've just recently gotten our camera fixed, and have yet to take any updated photos. But, hopefully the stories will do in the meantime.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

This is so great to read, Storyseeker!!! I am so happy to hear about your boys' antics, and it's wonderful to know they are still around and doing well. I know how you feel about the tumors--it is what will eventually get Stanley, too. But, I'm really glad everything is going well by you guys, and especially glad to hear about Melon and Skinner's attitude readjustment! Kisses to your boys from me, and Stanley waves to them with his retired, old man, former hand-model hands. hehehe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hooray for the Ghost Boys!! Thanks Story, for posting an update, it was terrific to read! As soon as I saw the new post, I told Marc and he came over to sit and listen to me read your update to him and of course, we both laughed and smiled so big reading your update. Those boys are larger than life, thanks to your exceptional storytelling skills (so your forum name fits you perfectly!)

So glad to know the boys are doing well. So many sad things happen on the forum with fur kids passing away, going through illnesses, so it is always a breath of fresh air and sunshine to read posts like this.

And yes, as soon as I mentioned Melon and Skinner, Marc immediately went into his sing-song of "Skinner ain't got no corn at allll....it's just for fuzzy butts!" Knee jerk reaction now. We just cannot stop ourselves from singing that when Skinner comes up as a topic. Hee hee. And our beloved Zmei....same thing....("corn is mine, from heres to HERES!"

Skinner and Melon, the gay couple setting up house, too funny! How sweet is that! And Little Pete is not little any more but ruling the kingdom and holding court over the rat posse. Go Pete go! We bow to your greatness o feared one. Ha ha!

So sweet hearing about Jeffrey, telling tales of his days of yore, when he was conquerer of his kingdom, giving his words of wisdom to his pupil and current successor, Pete. Marc and I could just see Jeffrey, with a pipe and his slippers, sitting back in a chair, with Pete at his side listening intently as Jeffrey says in an old man voice, "Back in my days of glory, I ruled that bathroom! Let me tell you about the time when..."

So glad your boys are alive and up to dickens, carrying on the Ghost Boys Club as always. Wonderful!!! Thank you thank you for the post, Story. Cannot wait for photos! Droooool........

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.

Last edited by Vladina; 02-05-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Tags
alabama ghost boys