An Albino Mouse Has to be white with red eyes right??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

An Albino Mouse Has to be white with red eyes right???

Ok so i was showing one of my mice to a friend and he is grey with red eyes. she keeps trying to tell me that you can have a mouse with color in their fur with red eyes and its an albino and i was trying to tell her that wasn't the case and for a mouse to be albino it had to be white as well as having red eyes. so i figured i would come here and see what your oppinions where on the matter. who is right? me or my friend?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pet's name: Candy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pet's name: Lilly Bud
Pet's name:
Baby
Pet's name: Pinkie
Pet's name: Lilly Pad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 01:47 PM
is a little "special"

When an animal is albino, it means that it lacks the gene that makes it colored. So, if an animal has any coloring on it, its not albino. Your mouses red eyes are just part of his coloring, and since he is grey he is not albino

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Part of the Pack

If it's grey with red eyes, it's a lilac - essentially a black mouse with the red eye dilution gene which gives the mouse red eyes and dilutes the coat color to the grey.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 01:46 AM

Albino mice have no colors. Thats what the albino gene does.
If it has any color other than PURE WHITE, red eyes, pink ears and tail then it is not albino. Hope it helps!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 03:57 AM
the rodent lover<3

Oh oh oh, this might be somewhat off topic, but I know what gives them the red eyes.
My science teacher was telling me about her piggers with red eyes, she says the part of your eye (forgot the name) that gives it color, is invisible, or clear, so the red is actually blood.

Random fact :p!

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx Angelica<3 View Post
Oh oh oh, this might be somewhat off topic, but I know what gives them the red eyes.
My science teacher was telling me about her piggers with red eyes, she says the part of your eye (forgot the name) that gives it color, is invisible, or clear, so the red is actually blood.

Random fact :p!
EWWWWWW

thanks everyone

Here is his pic

Pet's name:
Baby

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 07:24 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

So are red-eyed but colorful animals just missing the gene for color in the eyes?
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 07:52 AM
Hello Earthling

No I think that coloured red eyed animal s are just diluted as CapriceCitters said

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 01:07 PM

you have such a cute mouse winterose he is so adorable
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

You mouse looks either wet or very young.. lol

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:08 PM

I have no idea where your friend even came close to albino looking at that mouse. O____O

Its definitely a long haired satin, however after that the actual color is lost unless you know the parents. The eyes are red and her fur is yellowish indicating she could be an Argente. However the fur getting darker closer to the body could an Agouti color.

Do you know hat colors the parents were?
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokuza View Post
I have no idea where your friend even came close to albino looking at that mouse. O____O

Its definitely a long haired satin, however after that the actual color is lost unless you know the parents. The eyes are red and her fur is yellowish indicating she could be an Argente. However the fur getting darker closer to the body could an Agouti color.

Do you know hat colors the parents were?
They were eather both black and tan or one was black and tan and one was a kinda caramel color or both caramel colored

He is still young, his fur keeps looking smoother every day

Pet's name:
Baby

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Part of the Pack

To me in that picture, it looks like a chocolate tan (tan being the pattern)... but the red eyes throws me off. I think more pictures would help us clear it up. It's really not a very good pic to tell the color - plus the greasy appearing hair makes it difficult too. I was going to say it's either wet or sickly and not cleaning itself.

Actually, Albino animals are NOT diluted. They carry two copies of the recessive color gene, or are c/c. Colored animals, which are dominant, MUST be C/c or C/C. Also, albino animals ARE STILL A COLOR underneath the color gene - meaning an animal could be a black albino - a/a c/c. (a denotes agouti, which is dominant to black - so lack of agouti gene means you get an animal without banding of the fur, IE, agouti. ) However, since the recessive form of the color gene REMOVES ALL COLOR from the animal, the animal will appear as a red eyed white animal. Modifications of the color gene create himilayans and siamese.

Alternately, there is the red eye dilution which simply removes BLACK colors from the coat. Giving either fawns, blue brindles, lilacs, argentes etc.

Agouti:

Argentes (Agouti + Red eye dilution. Results in a gold animal with a blue undercoat and red eyes; can be lighter or darker in shade):

Black:

Lilac (Black + Red eye Dilute. Results in a warm grey animal with red eyes.):

Gold:

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Part of the Pack

Continued...

Gold: (note that golds often appear 'dirty' - they darken over time, often getting the darker areas on their top like this doe.)

Fawn (Gold + Red eye dilution. The RED eliminates the black in the coat, resulting in a clear, almost orange coat)

Gold Brindle:

Fawn/Blue Fawn Brindle: (Gold+Brindle+Red eye Dilution. makes an animal fawn with blue stripes. Can be hard to see, especially on poor-brindles.

Caprice Acres

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:21 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

oooh thanks for that! very interesting

Tags
albino, mouse