Alice bit me!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Alice bit me!!!

What do I do? I'm kind of scared of her now. It was a pretty bad bite. She has never done this before. She has always been the type to nip at me when i have my hand in the cage but this time was way worse. I was bleeding and my finger swelled up a little. I was putting some cucumbers in her bowl and when i took my hand out to lock the cage she lunged and bit me right through the bars. Now I dont know what to do. I dont want this to happen everytime i put my hand in there. I feed her now only when she is at the opposite side of the cage. Anyone know why she would do this? She has lunged at me since then so i know its not just because i had food in my hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I don't know. If she has always been like that. then maybe she just likes the taste of salt and maybe you should wash your hands super good right before you try to handle her old go by her. I used to have a male mouse named Henry and he never bit anyone when they were wearing plastic gloves, but bit me once until it bled when I wasn't because he liked salt =( Other than that I am really not sure. Good Luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Part of the Pack

Do you feed your rats treats through the bars of the cage? I've been nipped a little through the cage doors, though mine is hardware mesh so it doesn't allow for chomps, thankfully. It's likely she smelled food on your fingers and snatched what she perceived as food. They do not have good eyesight, remember.

Normal behavior is 'testing', where they lightly grab your finger but are decidedly gentle about it, never breaking the skin. Some of my ratties grab me like that and attempt to drag me into the cage, as if I was one of their babies to put in the nest.

Is there any way she could be pregnant? Female rats in the end stages of pregnancy and throughout lactation are notoriously nasty to protect their nests. Even some of my sweetest girls have inflicted impressive wounds before, during late pregnancy or lactation. Immediately upon weaning or removal from their nesting area, however, they are instantly sweet again.

Either way I'd still work with her, and see if she seems to be protecting her area (IE, preggo). Be careful by testing her outside the cage at first and see if she aggressively chases a rag or the end of a broom.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 07:01 PM

When I come home from training, and I am all stinky and sweating, my girls like to lick my hands, I think it is something to do with them being extra stinky from my boxing gloves!! I have had them about two weeks now, and they are very comfortable with being handled, generally, with most rodents, if your hands smell of something they like, they will try to lick, but if they think they have hold of food, they will just try to bite a chunk, unfortunately I don't think they realise it is fingers they are biting, I will always take their food bowl out before filling it, and never offer food by hand near to the cage, I don't even use food as incentive, that way they will never associate my fingers with lunch!!!! Also since I realised they had a thing for sweaty skin, I always wash before giving them cuddles
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Sorry but i'm just reading the replies now. She is definately not pregnant. She still lunges at me each time i try to put my hand in the cage. Maybe she is being territorial but i dont understand why. I'm so upset because I cant even pick her up to try and work with her. She wont let me anywhere near her. She also bit my dog when he was sniffing around at her cage . I just dont know what to do about her. I just bought a brand new cage. I love it!! It's a great cage but I am hesitant to put her in there because it is the type of cage where i would have to remove her in order to clean it and the way she is acting , I wont be able to do that.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Well I was having a little talk with Alice last night and I may have figured out why she is lunging. I think she has a hard time seeing. I was kneeling down in front of the cage talking to her and then she kind of got startled and looked right at me. I'm going to try and work with her tonight and see what happens.Wish me luck!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Good Luck!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Tags
biting, rat