Allergy Test for Achilles Noooo! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Allergy Test for Achilles Noooo!

Well, I have had severe sneezing, chronic itchy irritated throat and itchy nose for the past month and a half (roughly) and my ear/nose/throat doctor ruled out a bunch of stuff and said that I had some sort of allergic reaction to SOMETHING but when he suspected that it could be the dander from Achilles (Achilles has developed a very long and shedding coat) he unfortunately said that his clinic does not have an allergy test for rat dander.

We ruled out a lot of stuff and I was noticing that my symptoms always seem to act up more when I get close to Achilles or do their house cleaning/sniffing fabric/spot cleaning, etc,.

(In the meantime Marc bought two different Hepa air purifiers and I have been taking lots of Allegra and going through about a box of Kleenex a day)

SO, I got referred to Northwest Allergy and Asthma and they DO test for rat dander. I am getting an allergy test next week at their clinic. So....I will be highly surprised if the test turns out negative. If I AM allergic, I guess it will be a choice of long term allergy shots or some Costco trips for bulk boxes of Allegra. LOL. We shall see.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 07:30 PM
Official Loofah Tester

I've noticed that I have a bit of a nose/throat/lung reaction on cleaning day--the day when all their biological cast off is particlized in the air. I'm considering getting face masks.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yes, I bought some face masks myself actually. I use them as much as possible when I clean their house out, but I have to pull the mask off when I do my "sniff" test on some of their fabric to see if it is okay or time to toss in the wash.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Official Loofah Tester

I have discovered the perfect biological weapon.

When I clean their cages, I put their bedding in a trash bag and take it upstairs to wash. Unfortunately, one bag got hidden behind some thing, and when I found it weeks later, I didn't think twice about what I was doing as I opened it and tossed it into the wash.

Science is educational. Rat bedding that has been sealed off for no telling how long in a plastic bag doesn't breathe as the ammonia breaks down. I now know what the animal hoarder houses contend with.

I got a face, nose, and lung full of rat ammonia. I thought someone was trying to burn my face off. Whoof. I won't say how many washes that load went through before I was satisfied it was reusable, but it made a noticeable dent in my water and power bill next round.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle. LOL

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yikes!! That must have been super duper toxic, eh? Well, hmm, I have one of those big plastic tubs with a lid, sort of like a mega tupperware type tub and all the babies' laundry goes in there as it gets dirty, then at the end of the week I have a full tub of it and it's time for baby laundry day.

I keep the lid on it to keep less of the odor, etc from wafting out and causing more sneezes, but, should I keep the lid OFF so the laundry can breathe and maybe not build up as much if it is in a closed lid tub?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Hmmm...good question. Try it both ways and see I guess.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I always kept my boys' laundry in a small barrel without a lid on it. I found it was much less offensive that way, and considering I was living in a 450 sq ft apartment, I would definitely have noticed the smell otherwise! hahaha! Best of luck getting your allergies under control, Vlad. My uncle is horribly allergic to dogs, but he and his wife have always owned and raised dogs, so he happily takes his meds to deal with the allergies around them, since he said he'd rather do that than not have them in his life.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh yes, absolutely, I agree! My boys have their forever home with us and they are 100 percent family, always. Our furry children who we love more than anything. It is my problem, not poor Achilles'. My sweet lovey squish boy! If I end up having to get shots or take allergy medication every day for as long as we have our boys, so be it. It is worth it.

(It has to be the very long and shaggy fur on Achilles. I was never like this with Wolfgang or Klausse and Marc pointed out that Achilles is our first boy to have such long fur and who sheds so much. We will see what the allergy test reveals though. Hmm! I am severely allergic to cats, but not dogs. Wonder if the rat/cat thing is more similar than dog allergies. Not sure.)

Of course, I teased Achilles by making a dramatic announcement in front of him, his brother and Marc and said, "Oh well, I guess it's off to the Ratty Orphanage for you Achilles!"

Achilles said that was not a funny joke AT ALL. I apologized and said I would not make any more ratty orphanage jokes.

(Besides, there are waaay too many rats left in shelters or abandoned out there, so yes, the joke was in very poor taste. I learned my lesson!)

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

Last edited by Vladina; 09-26-2012 at 04:23 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Official Loofah Tester

Hehehe. Tell the boy to learn to take a joke. That little monkey's set for life and he knows it.

I was wondering, is his fur softer than usual? Not bunny slick soft feeling like satin rats, but rather like wooly puppy fur? If so, with that long hair he might be a 'velveteen'. It's a newer coat mutation out there.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Official Loofah Tester

This is a site that compares velveteen vs. rex:

http://charmrats.webs.com/apps/photo...bumid=10622752

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Ha ha Story, you hit the nail on the head there....Achilles knows he is set for life, the little pampered monkey!!

(Aye, those two boys have us wrapped around their tiny pink fingers and do they know it! Sigh...I am mommy BETA rat. Since Marc and I decided not to have human kids, we of course put all of our maternal and paternal energy into our furry children. Lil' spoiled babies!)

Achilles' fur is actually very coarse, not very soft. Much coarser actually than Klausse or Wolfgang's coats too. Long, sheddy, and very coarse. Of course his brother Maximus has super soft baby fine silky fur that is very short and sleek. So yes, two totally different coats on my boys.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

Last edited by Vladina; 09-26-2012 at 05:52 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh my goodness, those photos of the velveteen rats....beautiful fur! It looks so thick and plushy, like a fluffy polar bear! Mmmmm!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Official Loofah Tester

I have been looking at them recently because of my Darcy. She's got this plush soft short wooly fur...not rex at all, but as I described earlier, like baby puppy fur. Her breeder said that coat texture has been turning up in her blue lines recently. She doesn't have the genetics figured out, but it's really neat feeling. There's a non standardized coat type listed on the AFRMA website called "Velvet" that seems to almost describe what she's got going on.

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/album...pictureid=4837 Here's a not great picture of her, but you can almost imagine the soft fluff of her.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 09-26-2012 at 09:04 PM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oooh, beautiful! Yep, I sort of "cyber" pet her and I could almost feel that velvety plushness. Drooool!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith