ANOTHER genetics thread about siamese - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

ANOTHER genetics thread about siamese

So, at the pet shop I work at (only until the 13th now, I quit!) we had a breeder bring us 6 siamese rats. 3 males, 3 females. They weren't seperated, one female got adopted. The 2 females of COURSE became pregnant, and the first one had 4 babies (maybe she ate some, but 4 when I saw them) and the other had more but almost 2 weeks later.

I am assuming that the siamese gene is recessive because Louna's mom is black with a white spot and her dad is siamese and all the babies were all black or with white.

The siamese rats got pregnant from their brothers... (poor ratties...) and so of course, I was thinking they all had to be siamese, but the pups that are about 2 weeks old now look pink with grey spots! Like they're gonna become black and white.

The staff froze the pups since they're from brother-sister mating, they were smart enough to not take a chance people would breed those pups and are selling them as pinkies for snakes, so I'll never know what exact color they become. But... is it possible for 2 siamese rats to have other colored babies?
How does this work?? is siamese not a color and another gene comes into action to make them siamese and they're actually agouti siamese or something like that?

so there comes another question... can 2 albino rats have colored babies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Part of the Pack

Two siamese rats will have all siamese babies. Two albino rats will have all albino babies. The pointed gene, c^h, is actually a modified albino gene which causes darker hair to grow in the extremities.

Examples:

An albino male mated with albino female:

c/c x c/c = all c/c offspring

A siamese male mated with siamese female:

c^h/c^h x c^h/c^h = All c^h/c^h

A himilayan is actually a rat that caries one copy of albino and one copy of a modified albino gene, or c/c^h.

Since albino and siamese are recessive, two copies MUST be present to show. an animal with a genotype of : a/a C/c will be black, but be het for albino. If bred to a nother a/a C/c, there will be 25% albinos, 50% hets, and 25% dominant 'colored'.

If the babies had been black, the skin would not have been grey but very dark and noticeably black by just a few days old. If they weren't black by two weeks, they weren't going to be black. Siamese babies are interesting looking when young, often light on the front end and darker brown on the rear. However, if the ratties carried markings like variegated, they could appear to be gray spotted when in all actuality they are simply 'spotted' siamese. Also, if they carried or were blue pointed siamese (a/a D/d c^h/c^h) then it could make them appear different looking, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan

Last edited by CapriceCritters; 08-04-2009 at 12:54 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

ok! well they looked spotted, they were mainly pink, but with spots of grey on their backs!

Thanks for explaining, I know how recessive and dominant work for humans, and how it applies to albino and that colored individuals can carry the gene and have albino babies, I just thought those pups were gonna be black and white and really didn't get how that was possible!
So my best guess is they are spotted siamese because it was really grey and not dark grey or even close to black.

Thank you for enlightening me my co-worker who worked in a lab and studied science was starting to tell me rats had 4 color genes.... and I didn't believe him considering I've studied genotypes and phenotypes for several classes. I guess that's why he got fired from the lab!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

So they actually had left about 6 babies with the mommy siamese, now their eyes are still closed but you can already tell they're all dumbos (both parents were, i guess it's recessive too?) and they have enough fur to tell the color. They are almost all hooded rats, and maybe 2 look all white.

They are hooded the color of the siamese nose, so a brownish tan color.
they are so freakin cute!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Part of the Pack

The two that look all white probably just have white markings on the face, concealing the brown markings on the nose. I had a variegated that was like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

well doesn't siamese show after a few months only anyway? or when they're babies with little hair it shows anyway?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Part of the Pack

The pointing shows up with age, yes, but any white markings on the animal will cover up the siamese markings. A blazed rat will look like a REW. Here's some pics to demonstrate a variegated siamese girl I had named Lola:

2 weeks or so:

About 4 weeks:

6 weeks:

Adult:

Baby siamese start out with a light front end and a dark back end, which eventually fades to solid cream all over. With age, they begin to get their pointing in on the nose, ears, feet, and tail.

Caprice Acres

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

oh wow! Thank you for that! they look exactly like that, or with hooded markings! So i guess they'll just all become siamese anyway how cute!!

Since they are babies coming from brother-sister mating, what complications could that bring? I mean other than never breeding those babies, is there anything else to be cautious about?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

ps: she is SOOOO cute at 4 weeks!! i wish she would've kept those markings
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:12 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Эстетическая

Кто нибудь делал себе имплантацию зубов? Знаешь Антип, я вот что думаю Имплантация является отличной альтернативой многим способам восстановления поврежденных или отсутствующих зубов, в том числе и протезам Имплантация зубов под ключ, как можно догадаться, представляет собой процедуру внедрения Почему имплантация зубов в Москве пользуется огромным спросом Вот на что надо ответить: Как определить рейтинг стоматологий, где лучше устанавливать импланты? Думаю более подробно можно почитать это: dentalgu ru/ имплантологу Реставрация зубов необходима в случае врожденных недостатков или приобретенных дефектов, подробнее почитайте это - dentalgu ru/restavratsiya-zubov/ реставрация зубов виниры Андрейчук Сила: Лечение зубов в Москве: протезирование Лечение и протезирование зубов в Институте Инновационной Медицины всегда надёжно и финансово доступно, подробно протезирование можно прочитать это - dentalgu ru/protezirovanie-zubov/ протезирование зубов цены , dentalgu ru/chasto-zadavaemye-voprosy/ лечение зубов под общим наркозом у детей отзывы А вот какие я еще нашел интересные статьи на эту тему: inva-life ru/board/raznoe/prochee/protezirovanie_zubov_na_implantatakh/56-1-0-2735 Протезирование зубов на имплантатах perfumery-elit ru/article_info php?articles_id=380 Имплантация зубов – новые методики протезирования shkatulochka com/stati/restavraciya-zubov-alternativa-nailuchshego-resheniya Реставрация зубов: альтернатива наилучшего решения Ведищев Мина: А эти статьи про стоматологию думаю полезно прочитать каждому: dentalgu ru/statyi/implantatsiya-zubov/do-implantatsii-zubov/ До имплантации зубов dentalgu ru/statyi/restavratsiya-zubov/chto-delat-esli-zub-skololsya-pod-koren/ Что делать если зуб скололся под корень dentalgu ru/statyi/implantatsiya-zubov/impro/ Новая система имплантатов «Impro» - универсальная установка (устанавливаются как в мягкую, так и в плотную костную ткань)

Tags
albino, genes, siamese