another question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

another question

this is what i feed my mice and rats i was told it was best to feed them blocks like this but they refuse to eat it!!!
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3703250
what can i do? what can i feed them that they can eat and be healthy one but doesnt cost and arm and a leg. All they seems to want to do is play with it not eat it and they keep going bonkers when i come to the cages to love them trying to find food like they are starving.

"E"
wife to "G" 9/07
Mama to
"A" 6/07
"D" 3/09
And tons of fur babies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Why not look up homemade mice and rat mixes? Most of them utilize ingredients you already have in your kitchen. I never fed my orphan mouse any kind of lab block(I don't believe in them), and instead fed him a home-made mix. He absolutely thrived.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

i tried looking them up but have been getting mixed reviews honestly i am about to feed them my rabbits pellets and some eggs every now and then.

"E"
wife to "G" 9/07
Mama to
"A" 6/07
"D" 3/09
And tons of fur babies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

welli was worried bacause she was acting so hungry so i put some oatmeal shell and elbow noodles a little ground flax seed and the lab blocks for now and she is eating that. plus she ate my little piece of grilled chicken. So tomorrow i am hoping to get a good mix of stuff for them all. the mice started nibbling the lab block but i had some of the carefresh left for them and gave them that. So tomorrow it is back to researching for now i am off to bed i am tired it is 1 am already

"E"
wife to "G" 9/07
Mama to
"A" 6/07
"D" 3/09
And tons of fur babies

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

You should read this thread that we currently have going about homemade food mixes: http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f16/h...tml#post613354

It is actually cheaper in the long run to make your rats' food, because all of the ingredients are things you can eat as well, and buying in bulk is great. Rabbit pellets are absolutely not a good idea for mice and rats because they contain alfalfa, which is not good for them. I've never used the Kaytee brand of lab blocks, but I've heard others say that their rats haven't liked it. Try Harlan Teklad lab blocks--my boys love them, as do most rats.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

yes but doesnt the harlan teklad have corn in it?

"E"
wife to "G" 9/07
Mama to
"A" 6/07
"D" 3/09
And tons of fur babies

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

It does have some corn in it, but it is one of the best lab blocks around that rats will actually eat. (Technically, Oxbow Regal Rat is supposed to be the best, but I've never heard of a rat that will eat it willingly. I tried it with my boys and they refused to eat it.) As long as you supplement the lab block with fresh vegetables and fruit--and I'd recommend a homemade dry food mix as well--they will have a nutritionally balanced diet.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 03:15 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yes, as Breyer said, Harlan Teklad is a good lab block and the corn in it is not the main ingredient. Food or blocks of any kind with corn as the primary ingredient should be avoided. My boys liked to eat Harlan Teklad and always gobbled it up. I heard the same thing Breyer mentioned, that the Regal Rat blocks from Oxbow are supposed to the best but for some reason a lot of rats don't like the taste.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.